Chapter 22- Can I Have Your Daughter For The Rest Of My Life?

Dev's POV:

I shift in my seat, trying to hide the fact that I am nervous. In front of me, Dheeraj Kaur silently sips his tea. 

I honestly didn't think he would agree to meet me so quickly. But one phone call was all it took for him to call me home. 

"Ahem," He clears his throat, breaking the silence. 

I once again shift side to side. I don't know what to say or if Pihu told him about our break up and patch up. "Sir woh baat karni thi." I say timidly. (Sir, I wanted to talk.)

"Haa toh baat karne ke liye hi to bulaya hai." He says sternly. (Yes, that's what we are here for.)

"Sir, you know ke mein Pihu ka boyfriend hu.." (I am Pihu's boyfriend)

"Hmm" He responds without a shift in expression. 

"So now I want to change that," I say

He raises one eyebrow and scoots closer. "Are you here to talk about breaking up with my daughter?" 

"NO!" I scream loud enough for the whole city to hear. "I want to marry her. I want to be her husband." 

He doesn't say anything. He takes some deep breaths and my nervousness doubles. I fidget with my hands.

"I don't think you are right for us." He finally says. 

"Sir-" Before I can defend myself, he continues.

"You are part of a whole different social bracket than us. It's not that I don't expect my daughter to fit in, it's that I don't think you would fit. I don't think you will be able to give Pihu happiness" He says making a disappointed face. 

His words ring in my ear. This whole time I thought people would have a problem with Pihu coming into my world. But in reality, I am the problem. The reason people don't think me and Pihu should be together is that they can't see me fitting into a classic middle-class family.

I clear my throat. "I understand sir. I wasn't born with money sir, I come from a working-class family as well. I realize relationships don't thrive off of materialistic things but also emotional needs. I will make sure Pihu gets every happiness." I uphold myself.

"Happiness? I've seen you make my daughter cry. She may not tell me young man but I know." 

I sigh. "Sir that was a misunderstanding. You have also seen me make Pihu laugh."

He doesn't say much but I can feel the wheels in his brain turning. 

"Fine." He finally says. "I agree to let Pihu marry you. But on a condition that you never make her unhappy."

I take his hand in mine and shake it firmly. "Thank you! Believe me, sir, I will die before making Pihu cry."

He gives me a small smile and shakes my hand.

Pihu's POV:

1 week later.

I'm driving home after a busy day at the office when my phone suddenly rings. 

"Hello?" I say picking up. 

"Priyanka ma'am! I made a mistake! Pleaseyouhavetohelpme!!" DJ says in one breath. 

I pull over to the side concerned. "DJ? What's wrong? Is Dev okay?" I can feel my heart drop. 

"Dev sir is fine but I am about to die. Please help!" DJ screams into the phone. 

"Stop making me worry, what happened?" I ask. 

"Ma'am, Dev sir was supposed to go to a movie screening with a date and I forgot to tell you."