Part Twenty-Seven

Severus taps the wheel and avoids eye contact as James sits in the passenger's seat. Maybe if he doesn't speak, James won't either.

That doesn't work at all. Severus hopes that at least they don't start yelling and arguing.

"What the hell Severus?!" James immediately starts ranting. "You can't just fucking tell me you love me and then leave you asshole!"

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean— well, I did— I-It just came out and I got cold feet, so—"

"That's not a good excuse! Do you have any idea how confused I was watching you drive away?!"

Okay, Severus thought, pursing his lips, so we're doing this.

The argument felt like it lasted ages. It started with confused debating and ended with a full blown screaming match. Severus spent the whole time trying not to cry.

The arguing lasted up to the hotel room, where the screaming match got worse. Severus got deja vu from all those years of fighting with his dad. They had both cried at least once.

James' screams were the softest, but his arguments were the most valid and his tears were the most hurt and confused. He just wanted to know whether or not Severus was speaking truthfully.

"Why the fuck are you so obsessed with whether or not I was telling the truth?!" Severus shrieked.

"Because I'm in love with you, too, you asshole!" James finally admitted. "And I don't know whether or not I should kiss you or hit you because you won't fucking elaborate! Is it true or not?!

Oh.

Oh.

Oh fuck. How could it have taken him that long to figure it out?

Severus stared at him, shocked. He almost cried. The room was silent at this point, and they were regretting everything they had said to each-other that day.

James became quiet, and spoke softly. "Well?"

Severus didn't want to speak. He was overcome with fear and sadness and confusion. With a slight nod, he whispered; "I love you. I love you."

"I'm sorry." James whispered, stepping closer to him, then stopping abruptly.

"I love you." Severus repeated.

James was still silent. After a long pause, he stepped closer to him. "Can I kiss you?"

Severus nodded softly with a slight laugh. He already had tears in his eyes.

James cupped Severus' jaw in his hands and kissed him, Severus softly wrapping his arm around his waist and setting one hand on his shoulder to feel more secure.

After a moment, Severus pulled away for a shaky breath and grinned slightly. Tears were running down his cheeks from closing his eyes. James giggled slightly, then leaned in for another kiss, and Severus returned it.

"I'm so sorry." Severus whispered.

"I'm sorry too." James sighed.