Part Twenty-One

Severus brushed his teeth in the mirror as James washed his face, humming the Beatles. 'We all live in a yellow submarine' Severus would quietly sing along. James was bumping his leg on the floor repeatedly.

"Doesn't that hurt your heel?" Severus asked, glancing at his bouncing foot.

"Nah." James responded, "I do it all the time."

They got dressed for bed, James wearing red pajama pants and no shirt, Severus wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt and a comfy pair of black sweatpants.

Severus sat down on the bed calmly and leaned his head down on the pillow. James flopped on top of the bed and rolled over onto his side, looking at Severus. Severus turned his head and looked back at him.

"Your hair looks very pretty right now." James grinned. Severus was slightly surprised.

"Really?" Severus laughed softly.

"Yeah. I mean, it looks pretty all the time anyway. Just especially pretty now."

Severus smiled. "Thanks James. You're a sweet friend."

'Friend.' Both of them felt their hearts break with that. Especially James.

James closed his eyes and let his face relax, getting comfortable on his part of the bed. Severus watched him quietly.

"Good night, Sev..." James hummed, sweetly.

"G'night James." Severus mumbled, still watching him.