Carmi's Review #2

Book Title: My Metamorphosis

Author: disorientedsun

Reviewer: Read-aholic2006

°•°•°•°•°

(This review is solely based on the first 10 available poems)

°•°•°•°•°

Cover: 4/5

 I don't quite know how this image relates to the poems, but it somehow seems ideal. Honestly, I love this artistic cover. The dark aesthetic reflects the gloomy atmosphere of each poem. The uncomplicated black background easily spills the spotlight onto the white skull draped in intricate flowers and butterflies. It's a rather simple yet very striking cover. However, the liquidy font used for the title makes it difficult to see and the poet's username should definitely be enlarged. 

Title: 5/5

It's most certainly a unique title for a poetry collection. It's captivating and can be interpreted in several different ways. Some may think the title refers to a physical change or an emotional change or even a change within the poet. Overall, it's a cool title.

Blurb: 4/5

I love the poetic vibe of the blurb. It's short, simple and doesn't reveal much, effectively attracting an audience. But I think that "leave" should become "leaf". 

Creativity/originality: 10/10

This kind of poetry is distinct; it's like the author had scrawled her own signature on every poem. I've never read such deep, metaphorical poetry in my life. This poetry book is like a story and each poem serves as a chapter, a continuation of the previous poem. The speaker is a caterpillar, but not only does it describe itself, but also its surroundings, the changing environment and beautiful yet terrifying scenery. 

External Structure (Formatting/Rhyme/Rhythm): 9/10

The poems are written in free-verse, but there are rare instances of internal rhyme (awaiting my arrival and dictate my survival...broken hands unable to dance), which contributes to the rhythm. 

There is inconsistent formatting throughout this poetry book: The stanzas are right- and left-aligned in one poem, then everything is left-aligned in the other poems and in the last poem the lines are separated by double slashes. I don't know if this change in editing is to reflect the gradual physical change of the speaker or if the author merely wanted to explore the various formatting techniques. 

Internal Structure (Imagery/Language/Diction): 18/20

The author's mind-blowing magniloquence displays a vast vocabulary that stretches far beyond the horizon of my own lexicon. She uses words like empyrean, effulgent, salubrious, quixotic, sanguinary...

It's like the author had been on a strict diet of dictionaries for decades on end. And her carefully chosen diction is powerful and moving.