Chapter 21: Moral Compass

Start from the beginning

Ayanokoji: I choose you because Hirata couldn't do what's necessary to lead, and we both know this, but Kikyo might act too brashly to get rid of people she dislikes.  You can do what's necessary and have more room for growth than either of them

Horikita: I would be foolish not to accept.  So I accept, to guide our class up to Class A.

That phrasing shows she really has matured.  Before she would have stated the class as "this class" not "our class."  I feel like a father who has watched his little girl grow up.  I could feel like crying right now...oh wait.

Ayanokoji: What do you think of Koenji?

Horikita: That came out of nowhere?  But I think he has great skills just he holds back too much.  In a way, he is the most defective in our class

Ayanokoji: I am suspicious of him...You would think someone like him would have withdrew during the island exam. 

Horikita: Could him actually training in the jungle be the reason?  I doubt that though, don't you?

Suddenly, a notification appeared on our phone

Taurus Group Exam Complete

Results will be announced after midnight of the 5th day

A group has already finished? 

Horikita: Hey...Wasn't Koenji in the Taurus group?

Ayanokoji: Do you think Koenji did a random guess so eh could quit the exam? 

Horikita: Damnit, you are probably right about that.  So we might have lost 50 class points because of Koenji?

Ayanokoji: Perhaps so...If so, that puts us at a disadvantage now, already perhaps losing class points

The waitress returned with the meal, and of course we had the discount which brought back Horikita's fiery rage

The time was 10:00am and the second meeting of the exam commenced.  Everyone was on time once more and slowly the chatter picked up.  Teppei and Yahiko sat out again and simply watched the exam go down.  Hashimoto was still an active participant.  So that's Katsuragi's move.  It seems that Class A is still in turmoil, even if Katsuragi was now the minority.  After the previous exam, the Sakayanagi faction ruled with the majority of 75%.

Katsuragi decided to have his followers sit out, likely for the late game to have stressed class guess one of the Katsuragi members.  He will likely try to use that to agin more followers.  Sakayanagi seems to like the cooperative method, and will try to deduce who the VIP is.

Class D seemed a bit confident and participated in the group.  Could they have and the VIP in the Taurus group?  Yeah very likely.  Ryuen probably also had a strong strategy which the classes should catch onto.

Class B seemed weary but they still participated as usual. 

Hashimoto: Let's play another game!  I was thinking...Rock Paper Scissors.  Since there are ten participating people, we split up into 5 groups of 2.  The winner of each game can ask the other person a question.  Who wants to play?

Everyone apart from Yahiko and Teppei participated.  I was paired up with Hashimoto and we began our

Ayanokoji and Hashimoto: Rock, Paper, Scissors—Shoot!

I put out rock, but Hashimoto put out paper.

Hashimoto: Who do you think the VIP is?

Hashimoto asked a straight question about the exam.  Should I answer straight or not.  He might be the VIP, and if I say my true suspicions he might eliminate me. 

Ayanokoji: Honestly?  I think it's Manabe.  I think she has been a lot more quiet than she usually is...

Hashimoto: Hmm yeah maybe.  I haven't really paid any attention to her since she isn't that strong of an opponent.

So Hashimoto has been cataloging people based off their strengths and weaknesses.

Ayanokoji: What do you think of me strength wise?

Hashimoto: I think you are a strong opponent and all that, but I wonder if you can contend with the Princess.  And there is something strange about you.  You were in Class D, yet you're perfect at a lot of things...What's your defect?

It seems my skills have attracted attention yea, but to the more critical members of the student body, they want to dig into my backstory.  Hashimoto is a shrewd man indeed. 

Ayanokoji: Well there is something in my past I simply don't want to talk about.

I pretended to be flustered and scratched my neck.  Hashimoto gave me a knowing look, shrugged and walked away.  Everyone else was finishing the game when I was approached by Ichinose

Ichinose: Hey Ayanokoji-Kun, can we meet up after the meeting? 

Ayanokoji: Uhm sure!

After the exam, I met with Ichinose in the karaoke room.  I dragged Horikita along with me and when we entered the room, I saw Ichinose and Chichiro

Ichinose: Thank you for coming Ayanokoji-Kun, Horikita-San...

Ayanokoji: Sorry, I brought Horikita-San along since she is one of the class leaders...

Ichinose: It's fine...we need to talk.  I need a favor from your class.  Chichiro-Chan here is the VIP of Planet X, and if we lose in Planet X, Chichiro-Chan may be up for expulsion.  So could we make a deal?  If we lose in Planet X, your class won't vote to expel Chichiro?

Ayanokoji: Hmm, well if it's a deal, can our class put our own terms on?  You must tell us the class's VIPs.  I am recording this and I promise we will not report your VIP's, but I need to se sit there is a pattern and to see which members of the groups we shouldn't report.  And we also want a favor for this.  Is that a deal?

Ichinose looked at Chichiro and then back at me.  Ichinose breathes deeply and nodded

Ichinose: For Chichiro-Chan, I'll do it

Author: Next chapter will cover what's going on in Ichinose class situation.  Have a great day, and see you next time I update!