Friends

I kept my small woven basket close to my side

I kept my small woven basket close to my side. The summer breeze was flowing through the air. The grass was greener from the rain and the flowers seemed to be in more pep wishfully blowing in the soft breeze. I walk towards the large pond on the other side of the hill near the professors home. He let me pick the wisteria that grew on the bush nearby. My father liked me in a dress at all times because he liked to "look at something pretty" he says. I really do like dresses it's the dresses he picks for me that I don't like. 

I walked up to the pond. I looked around and I spot someone. A girl who looked around my age was reading calmly on a rock. Her feet were bathing in the natural pool. I slowly turned around to not disturb her. I feel butterflies in my stomach almost like I didn't want her to see me.  I however hear what I assume is her voice ring out. "Hey!" I turn my head around and it wasn't the older girl but a younger girl was running towards me. "I didn't know there were other kids who lived nearby" the younger girl says. The sun made her freckles more prominent and it almost felt like positivity was radiating off of her. She looked like the older girl almost like they were exact copies of one another. 

I completely turn around and the young girl reaches out her hand. "I'm Lucy" she says and I shake it hesitantly. "I'm Amelie" I say and notice that now the girl closer to my age has left her book on the rock and is now close to me. "That's a pretty name" Lucy says and the older girl reaches out her hand as well. "Susan" she says softly. Her voice is calming and mature. "Nice to meet you" I say trying my best to give her a soft welcoming smile. Susan seemed like the type of girl who always thought three steps in front of everyone. I trusted her almost immediately it was hard not to. 

I felt my butterflies disappear and excitement crept in when I realized I might have the opportunity to become friends with the sisters. Someone to talk to about the things I wanted to talk about. Someone to give me advice on things like periods and boys. Someone to talk to about the men I dream and read about. 

"Where do you live?" Susan asks and I point towards the hill. "Just down there in the little house." I answer and Susan nods her head. "Please come inside and meet Peter and Ed" Lucy says and I realize I've already met Peter. I don't say anything and follow them towards the large house. "What were you reading?" I ask Susan as Lucy runs ahead of us. 

"Pride and Prejudice" she says and my face lightens up. "I hope I find someone like Mr. Darcy" I say and Susan lets out a loud laugh. "So do I" she says and grabs my hand. "I think we are gonna be good friends" she says and I smile. "So do I" I say back and we walk through the front doors of the house. At least she had good taste in men that I was thankful for and only made me more excited to get to know her even more. 

We walk towards a living room area. There two boys are. Peter sits in a chair that looks like it from the ancient mayan civilization and he laughs at Edmund who was pretending to have a sword fight with a statue. "Pete and Ed look we found a new friend" Lucy says and points at me. I awkwardly wave hi to the two and Peter gets a small smile on his face like he had been waiting to talk to me again. Edmund walks over and hands me another sword that he was practicing with against the statue of the knight from the midivil times of history. "Lets see if you can past our test" he says and extends his sword. 

I laugh and take the sword and Edmund and I battle. I then end up winning by smacking the sword out of his hand and lifting the sword to his neck. "Bloody hell" he says and everyone laughs. "Language!" Susan says towards Edmund who rolls his eyes causing me to laugh.  "Alright but Ed's a rookie he doesn't know how to actually fence." Peter says and I look over at him and smile.

"Pick up the sword then Peter" I say to him and he gives me a look mixed of shock and excitement. "My moneys on Amelie." Susan says and Edmund scoffs. "Peter knows what he's doing" he says and Susan rolls her eyes at him. "You're on" Peter says picking up the sword and immediately slaps his fake sword against my own. 

"Hey that's cheap" Susan yells out. Our swords slap against each other and I duck as he tries to go for me again. Peter knocks over the old chair as he jumps onto it. He falls to the ground ontop of the chair and I laugh. I slowly put my sword onto his neck. He pretends to be dead and sticks out his tongue. I laughed and he opens his eyes and gives me a big smile. 

"Told ya she's a natural" Susan says and now Edmund is the one to roll his eyes. I help Peter up and he doesn't let go and we are face to face. His face is close to mine. My breath hitches as I haven't been this close to a boy before. His hair was a lot lighter this time without the rain drenching and darkening it. 

"Good match" he says and shakes my hand. His hands were soft but seemed to be slightly calloused. I laugh and take a step back. My cheeks flush. "You too" I say and then Lucy breaks the tension by jumping onto me and giving me a hug. "I knew you would beat him" she says and Susan laughs. "This just proves that girls are better than boys" she smugly says and I laugh agreeing with her. 

"Can we play another game?" Lucy says and the the two boys look at each other "Croquet" they say and all race out of the large house out onto the grounds. 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!