[23.1] A MASTERS PLAY

Start from the beginning

"Selene save us all," I muttered.

With that, I turned to leave.

--------------

Minutes later, I came to a stand a few feet away from the familiar large oak door.

My gaze shifted to the king's guard who guarded the door. The boy's frame was strong, his build as only that of a warrior of Beta bloodlines could yield.

"Has he spoken since his turning?"

Elias shook his head. A tightness in his jaw when he spoke uniformly. "Not a word, Master. He returned after the storm, very calm with a bird trapped in a cage." he explained, "he then left and returned a few moments later, seemingly in deep thought."

My eyebrows arched at the absurd statement.

2 things were inherently wrong with that statement.

Firstly, Birds were delicate creatures. Beings as hard and dark as the Night Wolf would not waste a moment to capture a single bird, nor would a bird fly too close to the Nightwolf.

Birds were like all other creatures, humanoid or beastly. They knew that they prey to the Night Wolf, and they knew when to take flight.

Secondly... Calm?

—that was not a word spoken about the Night Wolf after a Storming Dark Day.

The Night Wolf was normally at his worst after a turning.

Brooding and angry were the only words fitted to describe being in his presence after a shift.

"Was the bird harmed? Injured perhaps?"

"Afraid. But I saw nothing wrong physically." Elias replied, his eyebrows creasing slightly.

I nodded at this, wheels turning in my head.
"Thank you, Elias."

"Master Gregory," henodded, before looking forward and out, remaining in his military stance.

I turned away from him approaching the door. Letting a loose breath I recaptured composure, knocking firmly against the door.

I didn't need his verbal response to know his invitation. A low hum that echoed to my wolf, was enough for that.

I opened the door, walking into the vastness of the King's study. His third favorite place after the Library and the Hall of Thrones.

The Night Wolf sat on the large throne-like chair behind his desk, an open birdless cage near the window, his frame hidden by shadows all except his face where a small candle burned, illuminating his most dangerous features.

Eyes that shifted to mine as I entered.

Standing before him, I awaited his words.

He leaned back in his chair, not bothering for a greeting. There has never been a greeting offered. Always straight to the point.

"I received word."

Ah, a word from his shadow demons.

"From my investigations. Vaeln is not stupid to worry about his forests."

I listened carefully.

"They are truly dying, rapidly and the scents that surround them are non I can recognize."

He sees things through his shadows. But he also smells them. Perhaps he's seen them now. The room smells of oak and redwood.

Redwood is only found in the Light Wolf territory.

If so, Then he shadowed this morning, after his turning. Yes, he must have shadowed to the Light Wolf Territory. This is where he went after Elias saw him leave.