Chapter 24: Speechless

Start from the beginning

"Victoria was so sweet initially; we exchanged numbers and began texting each other. Around a month later, she asked me out, and I said yes. I learned she was rich, though she never told me how she inherited her fortune. When I asked about meeting her parents, she said they had left her long ago, so I didn't press further. I never cared about money, so it wasn't a cause for concern in my eyes. She always complimented me in ways that had me convinced she really liked me; I felt wanted. Years passed, it was the end of senior year, and she asked me to prom. I said yes, of course; that night, we made love for the first time after she told me she loved me. I thought it was the most romantic thing ever that she was willing to wait for me because I wasn't ready for that level of intimacy yet," I took a brief pause as a realization hit me.

Victoria was probably fine waiting because she was fucking other people and only waited because she knew I would fall for that gesture more... Why couldn't I have seen that manipulation before? Was I that naive, or was she just that good at faking everything to get what she wanted? It could be both, but I think the latter is more appropriate. No matter the reason behind it, I don't care; I wouldn't be right here if my life happened any other way.

"You okay?" Parker softly asked, and I completely forgot I had just randomly stopped talking. She's so sweet and caring.

"Yes, I was just thinking about Victoria's true motives in the past that enticed her to trap me the way she did," I explained, feeling Parker nod her head, making me smile. I like having her in my arms, and I'm still surprised we haven't moved from this position... I hope we can stay a bit longer.

"I understand entirely, sweetheart... do you want to continue? You don't have to either if you're uncomfortable," My professor added considerately.

That beautiful word.

"How can anyone not be comfortable with you in their arms?" I jested, lightening the mood and making her chuckle, but before she replied, I said, "I'm the most comfortable I've ever been, thanks to you, and if you still want to know my past, then I want to tell you everything."

"I would like that very much."

Instead of replying to her response, I kept on, "After prom, I finally graduated, and we learned that we were accepted to the same college. We spent many evenings at my parent's house, having dinner and being a family. They completely adored Victoria, as did I. I was so blindly in love; it was crazy. Thinking back on it now, it was probably so easy for her..."

"Rhode Island College was a few hours away from where we lived, and one evening I was spending the night at her apartment. I didn't know it then, but the mental abuse and manipulation started around that time. I was more than okay with taking the train and spending my time painting on the way to school, but... she had turned the conversation around, convincing me I actually declined her offer to move in. So, in my defense, I told her I'd move in with her if that was what she wanted," I finished that thought only to think of something else.

The more I recall my past, the more I accept it and the more eager I am to move on. It's amazing how just talking about it helps.

"I'm sure you can guess what happened next; she purchased the house close to school, and within two weeks, we had moved in. Everything changed so fast when she finally had me all alone to herself. Mental abuse changed to verbal, then to physical, and so on. She kept me away from my parents and constantly threatened me; most days, I would get what was coming to me for upsetting her. One weekend, after she had her way with me and just nearly broke my ribs, she allowed us to visit my parents," I took another breath, trying my best to ignore my ever-growing emotions regarding the topic at hand.

"When I had a moment alone, I told my parents about the abuse; they thought I was on drugs. Victoria would never do anything like that to anyone, let alone the woman she loves. Then, they brought it up at dinner, telling Victoria what I had confided in them. I'll never forget the look she gave me. Somehow, she convinced them I was harming myself, and she would take me to get help immediately. That was the last time I saw them, and well, you already know how that... ended," I said, knowing full well she heard the crack in my voice.