Chapter Forty-Three

Aiden was in a good mood

When Isabella brought up the idea of making his final days memorable by doing the things he had always wanted to do, he thought it was crazy. Yet, when she started doing them, it suddenly felt right.

He'd never thought he would do what had always scared him to pieces: confess his feelings to her. What he'd told her was all true, and he thought she would laugh it off or stop being his friend altogether, but it caught him off guard when she confessed her feelings for him. He was astonished, but it was worth it in the end because he married the most amazing girl in the world.

Sure, when people think of a wedding, they think of a pastor, a church, a ceremony, guests watching, and wearing traditional attire. However, what the two teenagers did was just for them, regardless of if it was real or not. It was real for them.

He didn't know what he would've done if he hadn't met her. His life probably would've been worse because he couldn't interact with anyone back then; he was distant from people and thought his life was over.

But Isabella changed that.

Now Aiden was starting to get weaker.

His body was drained and he was not as mobile as he once was. It'd been a week since he'd seen Isabella last. He had convinced her to go back to school so she could graduate on time. She tried to refuse, but he won as usual. He didn't want her to fail senior year or have trouble achieving her future goals. He wanted her to succeed when she left high school, and he would force her to continue if he had to.

She had given him so many excuses on why she didn't want to go, but he ignored her and kept telling her to go for the umpteenth time, and finally, she gave up trying. So she was finally in school for her last semester of high school, trying her best in her new classes.

He missed her not being there with him every day, but he knew how important this was for her. Thinking about it made him upset. He knew it would never be the same when he was gone. How would Isabella react? What would she do? He was concerned about her enough as it was because she almost killed herself once, so who knew what she would do.

He never wanted her to hurt herself ever again.

Someone knocked on the door and entered the hospital room. "Hey, honey."

Aiden grinned when he saw Nicole at the door. "Hey," he greeted her as he pulled himself up, his back propped up with pillows supporting him.

She rushed over, afraid of him hurting himself, but saw he was fine and relaxed.

"How are you feeling? I know I came unexpectedly, but I had to come see you." She smiled, but Aiden could tell there was a hint of guilt in her eyes.

"I'm fine." He shrugged.

"Oh." She nodded and laced her fingers together. "So, there's a reason why I'm here."

Aiden narrowed his eyes at her tone. "What is it?"