Chapter Twenty-Nine

The ambulance made it to the hospital in record time

The ambulance made it to the hospital in record time. The paramedics got Isabella out of the truck, and Aiden followed, still holding her hand. He peered down at his friend as they rushed to the front of the building, and her face was getting worse. Her light brown skin had lost almost all its color, and her lips were chapped and blue.

Aiden's heart was pounding against his chest. He didn't give up on her. He wasn't going to let her die.

Everyone entered through the automatic sliding doors, and the male paramedic stopped Aiden while his partner wheeled Isabella away from their distance.

"I'm sorry, you're going to have to wait in the waiting room. I'll make sure you get updates on your friend."

Aiden wanted to argue and push the man out of the way to follow Isabella to see if she was okay, but he understood that he couldn't be in the way while they were trying to save her life.

All he could do now was wait for the doctor to talk to him. It was out of his hands.

"Okay." Aiden nodded, lowering his head.

The paramedic patted Aiden's shoulder to offer comfort and turned on his heels to rush in the direction Isabella was wheeled to.

Aiden took a deep breath and walked into the waiting room, sitting down as he waited nervously for any news. He couldn't stop thinking that Isabella needed to live and live her life like she was supposed to. Live the life she wanted. He wanted her to experience freedom and feel loved by someone who could take care of her.

Matthew was certainly not the man for that.

He thought he could hurt her and get away with it. His ex-friend was going to pay for almost beating Isabella to death.

However, Aiden couldn't help but think it was his fault she got hurt.

If he hadn't left her there alone, she would've been safe, and Matthew wouldn't have been there to attack her. He had made a promise to her that he couldn't keep, and he would never forgive himself if something happened to her.

꧁ ༄ ꧂

Aiden had been waiting in the hospital for two hours, and no one had talked to him about his friend's status.

He was getting more anxious by the minute, and it was eating him alive.

He texted his aunt to say that he might stay in the hospital overnight to check on Isabella, and she agreed, informing him that she would visit in the morning for support.

He kept thinking that what was happening here shouldn't be happening at all. Isabella shouldn't be in the hospital like this. His leg bounced up and down while sitting in his seat, his fingers laced together.