Chapter Twenty-Two

Isabella walked to the door, gripping the doorknob as she tried to catch her breath

Isabella walked to the door, gripping the doorknob as she tried to catch her breath. She opened it, seeing Aiden standing behind the threshold with an annoyed look on his face.

"Okay, what is so important that I had to skip my appointment?" Aiden asked angrily, walking inside the house. She closed the door and turned around as Aiden shoved his keys into his back pocket.

"What is it?"

Isabella closed her eyes momentarily; her brain was cluttered with thoughts that made it hard for her to think straight.

"I need to tell you something."

The crinkles on Aiden's face softened.

"What is it?" he asked softly, walking closer to her, but Isabella stepped back.

If he came any closer to her, she was going to crack. What she was doing now was already killing her inside, and she couldn't let him make her feel more terrible.

"I've been thinking about things lately, and no matter how hard this might be . . ." she paused.

"I don't want you in my life anymore."

Aiden was motionless as he stared at her. "What did you say to me?"

She could tell that he was baffled. To him, it must have been out of the blue.

"We can't be friends anymore. I don't want to see you, talk to you, or have you anywhere near me."

Aiden stood, staring at her blankly.

"What do you mean?" he asked, his voice barely audible.

"You really don't want to see me anymore?"

Isabella nodded, hiding her true emotions.

His face went rigid as his eyes narrowed.

"You're lying."

Isabella cursed at herself, knowing Aiden had found her tell somehow. She had forgotten how he could identify every little thing she did if she lied. He knew her too well. She looked down at the floor as if it were suddenly the most fascinating thing in the world.

"About what?" she asked, her voice as flat as possible.

"You're not saying that. That's not you talking."

She lifted her head, watching Aiden walk toward her. His face showed all the emotions in his eyes; suspicion, hurt, fear, and concern.

"Why would I make this up?" she asked.

"Because someone is telling you to say this. Who's making you do this?" he wondered aloud, maintaining eye contact.

She should've known that this would not work from the get-go.

She stared at him, filled with guilt for even trying to lie. A lump formed in her throat that made her tear up. She couldn't tell him the truth. If she did, Matthew would hurt the person she cared about the most.