Chapter Thirty-Seven

Isabella had been living with Aiden and Nicole for a few days now, and she enjoyed staying with them

Isabella had been living with Aiden and Nicole for a few days now, and she enjoyed staying with them. Her parents had been calling in the evenings like they'd promised, to check on her to see if she was okay, and they were reassured each time.

Ever since she came to her friend's house, she'd only had one nightmare about Matthew, which was weird because usually, she would have more than one nightmare about him every night. It was like his face had just left her mind forever. However, she still thought about how he was doing in jail. She finally got a chance to contact the police to make an appointment for questioning.

She was nervous and anxious when the officers asked her multiple questions, showed proof of her bruises and explained every detail that happened in those months. She was able to brave the horrid memories and make it through. She was told that she should be prepared to testify at Matthew's trial, which frightened her immensely.

She wondered what punishment he would get after all of this was over.

Meanwhile, since Nicole was at work, Aiden and Isabella decided to go to the store to buy groceries to make dinner on Monday night.

They were in Aiden's car as he drove to the store, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

"So, what are we going to do about dinner?" Aiden asked.

"Well—"

"I don't mind making dinner tonight since you tried to do it last night and almost burned the house down." He chuckled under his breath.

Isabella rolled her eyes at the truth about the tragedy she created as she tried to cook a freaking burger.

"Whatever," she mumbled.

After a while on the road in silence, Isabella spoke, "Aiden, I want to tell you something."

"What?" he replied, making a right turn at the intersection.

"I'm worried about your health."

Once she said that, Aiden's hands gripped the wheel, causing his knuckles to turn white. "What are you talking about?" he muttered, his tone flat.

"I've noticed you've been looking different for a while now, and I don't know what's wrong with you."

She noticed how different Aiden had been acting, which had her concerned. The bags underneath his eyes were darkening, and his skin was turning paler.

And she hadn't noticed Aiden doing anything about it. He didn't seem to know how terrible he looked; his skin complexion had changed entirely. It was as if he wasn't taking care of himself. She wanted to know what it was and have it fixed.

Then a thought crossed her mind.

"Have you been going to your appointments?"

She stared at his face as he looked straight ahead on the road.