Episode 73 "The Devil in the Details" Part 1

Start from the beginning

We are back at the lab going up to the platform as Cam says, "I've been a coroner a long time. I've seen a lot of bad things." Temp then asks, "Define 'bad things." "Murder, mayhem, torture, catastrophe, suicide, explosions- you know, the usual stuff. But this? This gave me a chill." "Because of the demonic symbolism of the horns?" "Well, I just don't want to end up hovering above my bed... with my head spinning around, 360 degrees." "That would not only be impossible, but fatal." I nod patting Cam's back, "Even so, if it were to choose out of the three of us. I'm more than likely sure it would come for me first before you." Cam then says sarcastically, "Right, how comforting..."

Temp then looks at Arastoo, "Preliminary findings, Mr. Vaziri?" "Well, victim is human- mostly." Cam then says putting on her gloves as well, "Oh, he's only half joking. This extension of cartilage here-" We look down at the victim as I say, "It's a tail." Temp asks, "The victim had a tail?" Arastoo then says, "Unmistakably devilish." Temp then says, "Believing in fallen angels... and living by the tenets of empirical science are mutually exclusive." I then say, "Temp you got that mixed up." Arastoo nods, "Islam teaches us that Shaitan was not a fallen angel, but a jinn. Angels are created from light and have no free will. Jinns are created from smokeless fire and use their free will to defy Allah." 

Cam then says, "Not an angel, not a jinn, and yet, not your run-of-the-mill man either." Arastoo then adds, "The victim is Caucasian and judging by the partially fused... epiphyseal union of the clavicle, 19 to 24 to years of age." Hodgins then comes up over to us, "Accelerant was common motor oil- available at any gas station." Cam then says, "Well, at least it wasn't brimstone- available only from hell." "I can't get much off what's left of his clothes. It's just a generic mixture of cotton and man-made fibers." Temp then asks, "What do you make of the horns Mr. Vaziri?" Hodgins then says, "Whoa! Hey! Horns fall under my area." I smile a bit, "Only if they aren't made of bone." Arastoo then says, "But they are made of bone." Hodgins then says, "Really? Huh." I then ask, "You already delt with the horn, didn't you?" 

He nods, "Of course I did. I took a sample of your horns... and ran it through the mass spec. In addition to calcium, potassium, manganese and silica-" Temp adds, "Bone, as Mr. Vaziri stated." "I also found calcium carbonate in the crystal form, aragonite, which is better known as coral." I nod as I then say looking at the victim, "Likely, the horns were cosmetic implants, but as a result of biocompatibility, the remodeled bone grew within the coral." Cam then asks, "What about the tail? Do you think it's a cosmetic implant as well?" "Vestigial. It's a vestigial tail." "Well, that's extremely rare for a child to be born with one." I nod as Temp then says, "There is a man in West Bengal with a 33-centimeter-long tail... who some believe is the reincarnation of Hanuman." I nod agreeing.

Angie then comes up the platform, "Hey, I got an I.D. on our victim." Cam asks, "Is his last name Lucifer?" Hodgins then says, "Can we please call him 'Hellboy' until we find out otherwise?" Angie goes to the computer bringing up the information, "Oh, we found out otherwise." We see the image of the victim as she explains, "Neal Lowery. Turns out Neal's the only missing guy with horns. Go figures." I then ask, "Where was his last known residence?" Arastoo then says, "I'm guessing Mr. Stephen King's basement." I smile trying not to laugh as Angie answers, "Havenhurst Sanitarium, where he's being treated for schizophrenia." I nod, "Alright, let Ranger know what we've found so far." They nod as we all get back to work.

We were in Temps car again as we brought Sweets along to go to the mental health facility as he sits next to me in the back as he says to us, "Oh, hey, did I mention that I interned at a mental health facility in Philadelphia?" Booth then says, "Interned'? You mean lived in?" "You know the old thing about how all psychologists need psychological help? It's not true." "Is there any chance that Hellboy wasn't crazy, but actually possessed?" Temp asks, "You mean by the demon?" "Well, listen. If the Pope believes in demonic possession, then, you know, I at least gotta ask."  Sweets then says, "I spoke briefly to the victim's psychiatrist. Neal Lowery didn't show any symptoms of demonic possession." "Okay. Growing horns isn't a sign of possession?"