01

Chuuya's POV

"Hmmm...excuse me is this the medical social service unit?"

I immediately stopped typing and massaged my temple...

"H--hello?"

Tch! Just where are the others?! I haven't finished half of my work yet!

I got up and walked towards my 23rd client for this day.
An old woman holding a small child appeared standing  at our door.

"Yes, ma'am. What can I help you with?" I put up my professional smile.

She clenched her bony hand and looked into my eyes solemnly. "...my son, you see...he's admitted in the hospital...but we don't have enough money for his surgery..."

Judging from the old woman's appearance, her and as well as the child haven't slept for days.

*sigh* another patient, huh.

"Let's come in first." I led them to the receiving area where the two of them sat. I went straight to the hanging cabinet to get two bottles of water and some biscuits.

"Please have some refreshment..." I smiled at the child and placed the snacks on the nearside table."So about your son?"

"He's Kyousuke Haikawa...he got into a feud with some strangers I do not know...they--they said he got some debts to pay...what should we do? What if they come looking for---revenge." The old woman almost choked from her words from the overwhelming emotions that escaped from her mouth.

I hastily glanced at the child. He was trembling. This sure is a lot to take in.

...

...

...

F*ck.I almost forgot the ethics. Children should not hear about these things..

"What if they will come--looking for us?...what will happened? Please, you nee---" She's barely holding her tears.

"Ma'am, would you mind coming along with me?" I immediately cut her off. I can't bare to see the old woman crying. At least not in front of the child.

"...ohh...oh okay.." The old woman stood up still holding the child in her hand.

"The chibi can stay here to eat his snacks..." I saw her hesitated. I walked towards her and whispered. "...it's for his own good..." I smiled and patted the child's head.

Being in this field of profession can be tiring but at the same time rewarding.

Sure I did suck at my work at first but eventually got used to it.

I watched at a distance how the old woman explained the situation to the child. The chibi just timidly nodded and looked at my direction. I just waved and nodded to put him at ease.

"This way ma'am." I showed her to my cubicle. "Please be seated." I got my note pad and my pen. "Now where are we ..."

After she disclosed the patient information, it was then I found out that the patient has been using illegal drugs and since he developed a drug dependency, he got indebted with some shady people, probably shark loans, just to pay for purchasing these drugs. He never got the chance to pay for his debts, though. Leaving him to be hunted and got himself to be almost killed.

I run my computer to get access to the patient's profile.

Patient: Kyousuke Haikawa
Age: 36
Birthday: March 27 19**
Admitting Diagnosis: Intestinal Laceration (under drug influence)

So he got his gut pretty ripped up.

Blood loss and excruciating pain. Horrid sh*t.

That's too much of a factor to welcome yourself to hell.

"--ss..miss? Miss?"

"Oh sorry...I jus---what?" I flinched thinking of the word she just said.

Asdfghjkl!!!! Who's miss?!

The old woman looked worried. "I'm sorry, miss. It's just that you didn't answer when I asked what can you do to help us."

*sigh*

"Rest assured that the medical social service unit will give our best to assist you." I went back to my professional smile once more. "...and I'm no miss, I'm a man."

She suddenly rose and bowed her head. "Ex--excuse my rudeness!"

"Ah, it's okay. No worries. It's perfectly fine." Not fine, my ass!

Seeing her calmed down, I started giving her the necessary details and instructions.

"Well, let's see. First of all, I need some requirements for you to accomplish. His certificate of residency, the medical abstract signed by his attending physician. and any of his valid ID. Make sure you also have your identification card and resident certificate. A case study report from your city social welfare office will be needed and also the patient's current hospital bill."

"I--I'll try to comply everything by tomorrow".

"Un..and there's also a matter of coordination with the surgeon that will do his operation. I'll try my best to talk to the hospital charity surgeon if he can accommodate the patient and (just maybe) waive his professional fee.."...though this will be the hardest thing to do. Since I need to work my blood out to get the man's approval.

The old woman got teary-eyed and suddenly hugged me. "Thank you, miss! I mean, sir!" I just patted her back nicely.

"There are more things to do. But I'll do the rest. For the mean time, please have a good night sleep together with the chibi. I'm sure you and the kid need it terribly."

I ushered them out of the office.

She thanked me once again while the child just nodded and waved goodbye.

Watching their silhouettes gone, I couldn't helped but made a long sigh.

Another hell day of work for me. I haven't discussed the other details but looking at the old woman and the child they also need some help.

I wonder if I can find a counselor or a psychiatrist to check on their mental health.

...

Wait..

...

There's one...F*ck, him again.

...

...

And so there's also the patient that needs a drug rehabilitation program. Just where can I find a place?

I guess, I better start looking and make some preparations as early as now.

Tch! Another day of not getting sleep!

Well, I will just squeeze more the hospital money for my excessive overtime pay then.