Chapter 9 - Only one soul is inside

Chapter 9 

Only one soul is inside

In fear that the young monk would get displeased, Grandma Lin quickly spoke up, "Both of us elderly are happy with your blessing, we truly are. But my granddaughter has a special case where we will only be reassured if we ask for the abbot's help."

"My teacher advised me that only with practice will I be able to learn. The abbot is someone I greatly look up to and it is out of my capability to reach his level. My humble wish is to gain some insight from reading honourable guests' fate and to further improve my lowly skill. My offer to shorten the waiting time to meet the abbot still stands if my reading does not satisfy you."

Facing the young monk's earnest eyes, it was indeed a little hard for Grandma Lin to remain firm. "This is a rather personal issue so-"

The door suddenly swung open without even a single knock, and a bearded man in a yellow Taoist robe stepped in. "Huo Pu, I will bring them to meet the abbot."

"Master Taoist?" Huo Pu's eyes slightly widened at the unexpected interruption.

"If you want to practice your skill, there are plenty of other willing visitors outside waiting for you." The Taoist's gruff voice strangely eased the tightness in Lin Jiayi's heart.

Is this the feeling of gratitude towards her timely, unfamiliar saviour?

"They are abbot's special guests?" Huo Pu had not heard that the abbot would be receiving any special guests today, or else he would not have asked Zhang Muchen to come over.

"Of course. I don't have an interest in lying over something like this. The three of you, please come with me."

"Really?" Grandma Lin asked in disbelief. She was very clear that they were just ordinary visitors and it was the abbot's kindness that he would personally give everyone a blessing without asking for payment. Everyone with enough EQ would pay in the form of a donation to the temple if they were sincere towards Buddha.

The Taoist pushed the door wider. "The abbot is waiting."

Grandpa Lin did not ask questions and just helped Grandma Lin to her feet with Lin Jiayi's help.

Huo Pu's heart surged, just as his mind did not stop guessing over why he was stopped. That female guest, Zhang Muchen's destined half, might not be an ordinary soul.

"Only the three of them will come with me," the Taoist blocked the doorway after the family of three stepped out.

"Master Taoist?" Huo Pu had wanted to follow, and the abbot normally would not mind the other monks hearing his conversation with the guests.

The Taoist lowered his voice. "Stop prying, or else the abbot could not even save you from God's wrath. And tell young master Zhang that fate could indeed be changed, only if both parties are willing."

"Huo Pu! Why are you not following them?" Zhang Muchen's fierce whisper from the window entered the ears of the contemplating monk long after the door closed on his face.

The contemplating expression was quick to be replaced with a smile. "Why are you still standing there? Come in~ come in~"

"Come in my ass!"

Huo Pu let out a helpless sigh. "Master Taoist warned us to stay away and don't mess around. So what else can you do other than come in?"

"Tsk. Useless," Zhang Muchen grumbled, but he still climbed into the room from the window after checking there was no one around to look at him doing something a person of his position should not do.