Chapter 50 | 2010

What on earth was this? A cold breeze? In pointbreak? The town that's always blistering hot is actually getting cold. Which is strange, it's only just autumn and usually it takes a month or so to cool down. Perhaps 2010 is the year climate change starts to fuck the towns weather up?

"Fuck man, this is not what I was hoping" Icarus sighed, grabbing her Roxy jacket from the boot of her car.

"What even happened? It wasn't like this last year?" Aries said, regretting not wearing longer pants. At least the sailor collared jacket was some warmth.

"Global warming" Zagreus chimed in.

He was the only one who actually bothered to check the weather and came wearing long pants and a long sleeve top.

"Ugh the waters gonna get colder now" Pandora sighed, struggling to get her arm into her tangled windbreaker.

"Yuck, I hate freezing water. I'm a tropical fish not an arctic one" Icarus replied.

The group was out at the next suburb over today, hoping cut some swimming time out by going to the next island from the closet beach to it. It was still within pointbreaks borders but too far to walk to.

"Before we go let's get food, I'm hungry" Zagreus said.

"Same, Grill'd?" Pandora suggested.

"Fuck yeah I want that bangin veggie burger" Aries replied.

It'd been a few months since they'd started finding clues of the pod, hopping from island to island. It was clear they were around, but kept moving from place to place. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right now now. Off in Izroulia the building was going well, almost done in fact. It was just the interiors that needed to be done now. Haru had done amazingly organising the whole thing, he was truly fit for the role as king.

Micha had been helping, but was so wrapped up on trying to identify all the un-documented artefacts in the archives he was driving himself up the wall. More than a few times Haru had to tell him to take a break, and more than a few times he's had to seduce him into taking a break. Hey, Micha was only mortal. He couldn't resist Haru's tricks.

"Your parents are almost ready to move huh?" Icarus asked Zagreus as they walked along the beachside paths.

"Yeah, they're packing all their stuff up. Went through my room recently as well and found stuff I completely forgot I even had. Including my pixel chick" Zagreus replied.

"DUDE- I had one of them. It's probably in a box somewhere" Pandora replied.

"Same, I had the two story one" Icarus said.

"Lucky, I have the one story one"

Zagreus was planning to move into Izroulia too, but with Styxx. So while his parents packed up the rest of the house, Zagreus was busy going through all his books, clothes, drawers etc. all while on the phone with Styxx trying to figure out what to bring and what to keep in storage with his parents.

"By the way, what's willow up to? It's been a few weeks since we last saw her" Aries asked.

"She's re-doing her bronze medallion certificate. All the life guards have to, you know so they can keep up their skills and stuff" Pandora replied.

"Yeah it'd be a problem if the life guards couldn't swim fast enough to save someone"

It's only a few months into 2010, but a lot had happened already. With the hunt, the work in the kingdom and the move, everyone was busy. So the group were glad to have a moment to breathe, sitting around a restaurant table with some burgers even if it was only for a few hours before having to get into the cold water.

Off in the kingdom, Haru was pretty flat out as well. The final stretch of the build project was a lot more work than you'd think, having to check each building was up to safety code. Especially with how close to the beach they were, they all needed to be raised and reinforced in the event of a super high tide that made the ground all soggy and flooded. Can't have any houses collapsing or sinking into the earth. But he was finally done for the day, and back at the castle.

Hanging up his coat and putting the crown back in it's case he sighed and stretched out his arms and wings. The sea breeze was strong today, he felt like he'd been beaten up by air. Turning to the mirror he shook his hair out, fixing it up a little before going on the hunt for his boyfriend. He knew where Micha would be, he was always in the office connected to the archives.

Just as he thought, when he opened the door he found Micha hunched over the desk sitting in a strange pretzel position. Glasses on, focused and surrounded by books. The only light in the room being the desk lamp and the curtains open a crack over windows.

"You'll mess up your back" Haru said.

"It's already messed up" Micha replied, flipping the page of a book.

Haru walked over, leaning over the desk to get a look. It was that ancient disk-tablet thing again, Micha had been stuck on it for a while now.

"Still?" He asked.

"I know it's from Pharaonium, I just can't figure out what it is. It's at least 3000 years old, we have no record on it and it's clearly enchanted with something. But I have no idea what it's used for or how we got it. I'm hoping I can decipher the glyphs but they're mixed in with other symbols I don't recognise" Micha rambled.

The artefact was solid gold, heavy and a but scuffed up with age. It had several notable carvings on it. An Ankh, the eye of Horus and several cats.

"There's a lot of cat stuff, is it related to Bastet?" Haru asked.

"Maybe... but it's not like any other worship tool I've seen" Micha replied.

There was something about seeing Micha so engrossed in his own world, doing things he loved that always made Haru smile. He was a bit of a sleepless mess at the moment, but he still managed to look cute in a jumper and boxers, eyes decorated with eyebags and his hair clipped out of his face with bunny hair clips.

"What? You're staring at me?" Micha asked, flipping the page again.

"Just admiring" Haru replied.

Micha sighed, turning to gave Haru a playful glare and a smile.

"You act like I'm an ancient statue in pristine condition" He said.

"You're as beautiful as one" Haru replied.

Micha gave him a nudge, cheeks dusted pink.

"Shush"

"As pretty as you are all focused like this, you need to take a break. You'll drive yourself insane" Haru said, ruffling Michas hair.

"I'm so close to decoding this though... this part here is 'ah' and this here is 'ank' if I can put them toge-" Micha replied.

"Micha"

The demon knew Haru was right, he'd been cooped up in here for days now stuck in a hyper fixation trying to decode these glyphs. But he was so close... just a little more study.

"I'm so close" he said.

"The glyphs have been there for 3000 years. They'll be there tomorrow" Haru said.

"I mean yeah but-"

"Micha, do I have to lure you out of the study cave you've encased yourself in with promises of sins of the flesh again?"

That made Micha stop and consider, he wasn't immune to Haru's antics. Especially when he really needed his back cracked...

"I'm listening..." Micha said.

"All this stuff will still be here tomorrow. My time won't be, I have two meetings tomorrow. So how about you take a break, and I'll make sure your back isn't the part of your body that's stiff all night" Haru teased.

How Micha had been dating this man for almost 4 years now and still blushed like mad at the thought of spending the night together he didn't know. Haru just had that effect on him.

"Is that a threat or a promise?" Micha replied.

"Hm, both"

That sly son of a bitch, he was in.

"Fine..."