Chapter 3 | Life in Pointbreak

Icarus was about ready to fall asleep, this class was so boring she'd been just sitting and waiting for it to end. First week back at school and she was ready for it to be over.

Not only did she hate school because she was bad at it, but she didn't have many friends there. And worst of all, there was a mandatory school uniform that was NOT cute at all. She did her best to make it cute, with a hello kitty backpack, fun hair style and smiggle pencil case, but the navy skort and polo shirt were so boring.

She fiddled with the charms on her flip phone, watching the clock tick and eagerly waiting for the bell to go off.

The first assignment of the year for this class was to complete a work pack on geometry, something she found boring as hell. She knew she'd regret it if she didn't do it in class and had to spend her weekends doing math. So she bit the bullet and did it during class so she could have the weekend free. But now she was bored because she'd finished it early.

Glancing up at the teacher to make sure she wasn't paying attention, she opened her flip phone and decided to text her her bestie.

Message to: Aries.
Hey I'm gonna go shopping at the boardwalk after school. Wanna come?

She looked up at the clock again, 30 minutes until class ended. Soon after she sent the text, she got a reply and almost had a heart attack when her text tone went off at full volume. Luckily no one was paying attention.

Message from: Aries.
Sure. I need more human clothes anyway, all my traditional Izroulian clothes don't really blend in. I'll wait by the front of your school.

So it was a plan, they'd go shopping. The mention of traditional Izroulian clothes made her interest peak as well, what did they look like? Aries did mention a while ago that mermaid did indeed wear shell tops for celebrations, so maybe they fit that aesthetic?

After a gruelling 30 minutes, the bell finally went and she was out of that classroom in seconds. Out the front of the school by the sign reading Sunswell senior high school, Aries leaned against the gate with a bag on their shoulder and Sea Shepard tank top on, promoting the ocean conservation organisation.

"Hey, let's get food first I'm starving" Icarus suggested, approaching the siren.

"Good, I'm hungry too. There's churros on the boardwalk isn't there?" Aries replied.

"Yes, and they're the best ones you'll ever have. Let's go"

The boardwalk was known for being a little bit expensive with their shops, but having the best quality clothes on the coast. There were multiple clothing shops, a surf shack known for its reef safe board wax, a diving gear shop, a fishing shop, multiple cafes and restaurants and Icarus' favourite the souvenir shop.

The shop titled 'pointbreak goodies' was one of those shops aimed at tourists looking for something to bring back from Australia. But there was just something so nostalgic and cute about those 'someone who loves me very much went to Australia and got me this shirt' graphic tees she loves. Not to mention they had the cutest beach towels and stuffed animals of Australian sea creatures.

The boardwalk was always busy too, kids coming from after school to hang out and water sport clubs getting lunch at one of the cafes. All the way at the very end of the boardwalk, past the shops the jetty diverted down two paths. One toward the shore where kids would jump off the jetty and swim over to the pontoon to play, and one long path that headed into the marina where all the boats were docked.

The two merfolk got themselves a snack of churros and slushies, before going down the row of shops looking for cute stuff to buy. Since being in the human realm, Aries found themselves gravitating toward surf fashion. Roxy tops, rip curl board shorts, wave zone hats and, Havianas thongs (or flip flops for the Americans). As well as that old school childhood summer aesthetic of heart sunglasses, button ups tied at the front and high waisted shorts.