Chapter 4 | moving in

"So you're telling me there's spells that just... give you money?" Icarus asked, looking up at the house Aries was now living in.

"Yep. They're illegal in Izroulia for obvious reasons. But I'm not in Izroulia right now aren't I? If I'm going to be hunting for the pod here then I need a place to live" Aries replied.

Aries had bought a house in the area, only a few streets down from Icarus and the beach. This was the first time Icarus was seeing it, and the fact Aries could just magic up enough money for a house was mind blowing. They head inside and Icarus is shown around.

It wasn't a massive house or anything, enough for maybe two people at most. One bathroom, two bedrooms. Aries was just using the second bedroom as an 'everything else' room where stuff they didn't have a set spot for went. The kitchen was a regular size and had a gas stove rather then electric, good for Aries since they can use their powers to adjust the flames. A lounge area, small laundry and backyard big enough to have an outdoor dining set and some plants. And as most houses by the beach had, a shower outdoors for washing off sand from the beach before you went inside.

Nothing special, but all Aries needed.

"I'm impressed. 19 and a whole house to yourself" Icarus said.

"I'm used to finding slightly sketchy ways to live. Again it's not illegal in the human realm. Anyway come sit I figured something out" Aries replied.

The two sat at the table, with snacks and soft drinks. Aries was quick to fill the fridge as soon as they moved in, wanting all the cold treats they could to make the summer heat easier.

"So I've mapped out all the planets and tides in relation to the spirit pool, and I'm pretty sure my theory is right. You're able to transform someone into a mermaid when the sun and moon are aligned with Neptune and when all the planets align" Aries explained.

"So it's pretty rare then?" Icarus asked.

"Yeah. From the looks of things the pod must have made it that way so their half human kids can have regular human childhoods and when they're older and the time is right they can get their tails"

"Smart. Since it'd probably be pretty hard to hide a tail in the human realm as a kid"

"That's what I was thinking. But I also noticed something else..." Aries said, flipping the page of their book and slid it over to Icarus to look at. "Spring tides. They did something to the pool, it glowed similar to when you transformed but it's clearly not the same magic. If I had to guess it's purification, so anyone who may have been cursed or jinxed and wash away the curse"

"Spring tides are pretty regular yeah? Makes sense they'd make it an accessible thing just in case" Icarus replied.

"Other than that, that's all I've found. I can't tell how old the pool is, but it's clearly been deserted for a while, so something might have driven the pod away"

They both thought for a moment, sipping their drinks.

"So that's all we got? No clues or anything else?" Icarus asked.

"That's it. Which is frustrating but at least it's something..." Aries sighed.

Before the conversation could continue, a loud clap of thunder is heard and the two look around in confusion. Turning to look out the window they found it was raining.

"Where did that come from? It's the middle of summer!" Icarus said.

"Looks like you're stuck here a while. Cant walk home with a tail" Aries replied.

"Well that gives us time to figure out this pod thing I guess. Although we can't do much with so little clues"

"I think all we can do now is just explore the surrounding areas in hopes there's some kind of clue... and figure out how we'll get them back to Izroulia"