Chapter 21 | Echo

Icarus wakes up late one morning to find her mother already at work, to the sound of her phone ringing. Tiredly she picks it up, seeing it's Aries.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Hey is your mum at work today?" Aries asked.

"Yeah why?"

"Didn't you say your dad left some stuff when he left? If he's the one that gave you the mermaid gene then maybe there's something connecting to the pod in his stuff?"

Icarus sat up, intrigued.

"Wait you're right... why didn't I think of that?!" She exclaimed, getting out of bed and rushing down the hall into her mums room.

"It hit me last night when I was thinking about the rebellion, if we want to overthrow Agmenetra we need protection from her harmful spells and all of us have a signet ring except for you" Aries said.

"Come over and I'll dig through my mums stuff to look for it" Icarus said, opening the closet.

"I'll be over in a minute, bye"

"Bye"

Hanging up she tossed her phone on the bed and began to dig around in the closet, looking for old boxes or files of some description. Pulling out a box, she opened it and only found some old school reports. Pushing it aside she went for the next box, again only finding old school documents. But at the back of the closet was a box that looked a bit beat up, and she knew that was the one.

Pulling it out she opened it and found the jackpot. A photo of her parents sat on top, it looked old and beat up. On the back was the date, a few years before she was born.

"Bingo" she muttered.

In the box was an old photo album, a second smaller box, a CD labelled summer 89 and a bottle sealed with wax with something inside. Among everything was shells and other ocean stuff likely collected while swimming.

The doorbell rung, and she knew it would be Aries. She got up and stuck her head out the window.

"Go around the back!" She called out.

Aries gave her a thumbs up and headed around gone back through the back door, and was quickly up in the room with Icarus.

"Found it?" They asked.

"I think so. I had a hunch it'd be in there" Icarus said.

They sat down and began to look through the box. Aries picked up some of the shells, and the photo album looking them over. Icarus picked up the smaller box and opened it to find none other than a signet ring.

"Oh my god you were right" she said.

Aries took the box, and gave the ring a look.

"Yep that's a signet ring alright. Honestly I'm not sure why he'd leave it and not use it for himself but I guess if he wanted to leave some kind of protection for you and your mum he might" they explained.

Icarus took the ring out of the box and looked at the charm, it was similar to the charms of the others but unique to her family. There was no mistaking it as a signet ring.

"Keep that with you, I'll give you basic protection from negative spells" Aries said.

Icarus put the ring on, and put the box aside.

"Everything else looks to be stuff from their relationship. Old photos and stuff" Icarus said.

"What's the message in a bottle?" Aries asked, pointing it out.

"No idea, it's sealed with wax. I don't know if I should open it..." Icarus said, picking it up.

"He left it for someone to read clearly... if your mum just stuffed it in a box to forget about the relationship then maybe you should be the one to read it"