𝟯𝟬 𝘛𝘳𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘥 𝘐𝘯 𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘖𝘸𝘯 𝘔𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘺

TW: Angst and signs of slight depression

[Control - Zoe Wees]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Tonight, I've been sleepless. I spent the entire day being hungover, Steve nursing me back, helping me with cooking, working out, and trying not to throw up my stomach every second. I felt like shit the entire day, and from the looks on everyone else's faces, they could tell that as well. So, no one dared to bother me the entire day. I was excluded from the meeting, Steve told me everything I needed to know. He also told me that Eden wasn't at the meeting, and when he walked past her bedroom to get there, he heard her crying again. That just made me drop to my knees.

I spent the rest of my day in my bedroom, trying to distract my mind in a less harmful way. I read a book but only got a few pages before I closed the book and threw it across the room. Then, I tried to watch a movie, but I became like a zombie, with none of the content going into my brain. Eventually, when the sun set, I leapt into my makeshift bed, not feeling comfortable enough to get into my own bed without Eden there, and tried to fall asleep until the next day. I don't know why I find the nighttime so comforting, I only know the next day will be even worse than the last. Even still, I lie on my 'bed' staring at the ceiling, my eyes wide open. I just can't sleep. Recently, I've been sleeping with the door unlocked and open, waiting for Steve to run in here to help me when I eventually have a nightmare. It's only happened once, considering all the other nights I haven't fallen asleep, but it was a horrible experience. Worse than any of the last. Steve had to help me get back to myself before I became him again.

Tonight, I can't fall asleep again, my door is open, and all my senses are heightened. They are so heightened that I can hear shuffling from down the hall. At first, I assume it was Steve, getting up in the middle of the night for some water, but after I heard sniffling, I knew it was Eden. I tried to block it out, but after I heard glass shattering, I jumped out of bed and ran down the hallway. Her door was closed, but it wasn't locked, so I ran into her room, seeing that her bedroom is empty. Her bed is dishevelled, items are scattered all over the floor, and the bathroom door is closed. I knock on the door and try the doorknob, but it's locked.

"Eden, can you please open the door."

"Go away."

"Eden, please, I heard glass breaking," I beg.

"Please go."

"At least let me know that you are okay. I know you probably don't want to see me, but I can't leave without knowing that you aren't hurt."

I hear shuffling before the doorknob turns and the door opens. Eden stands behind the door, her eyes hooded, bags under her eyes, and her skin pale. She tries to walk out of the bathroom, but she stumbles and falls into my chest. I wrap my arms around her body, trying to walk her over to her bed. As we walk, I check over her body, trying to see if she is hurt or not. Luckily, there are no cuts or bruises, so I lie her on her bed, trying to pull the covers over her, but she throws them away. As she turns and flips in her bed, I walk over to the bathroom, seeing the broken glass from a bottle that she had thrown or dropped. I grab the dustpan from under the sink, clean up the glass and throw it in the trash. Walking back into her bedroom, I see Eden sitting up on her bed, watching me as I look her over and then walk over to her door, not sure what to do or say.

"Why did you come?" She asks.

"I heard glass smashing, I wanted to know that you were okay."

"Why? You left me." She sniffs.

"I didn't do it to hurt you, Eden." I sigh. "I can't be the problem anymore."

"But, you did hurt me."

"That was never my intention. I never wanted to hurt you, I just can't sit around and watch as you ruin your relationship with your father over me."

"That was never your decision to make." She covers her face with the duvet. "I told you how bad it's always been between my father and me."

"This whole situation was fucked from the start, Eden." I sit on the end of her bed. "We had to hide our relationship, we couldn't be friends in front of your father, let alone be dating each other. What were we going to do? He was never going to allow us to date."

"I don't know, but you once asked me no matter what happened, if I was going to stay, and I said yes. I never asked you the same question 'cause I thought you would do the same."

"I would. I was going to." I sigh. "But, I can't be the bad guy anymore. I've always been the bad guy, and I had the chance to help you gain that relationship with your father, so I had to take it. Please, try. If not for me, then for you."

"I need you to leave." She sobs. "It already hurts, but knowing that you can't stay the night ever again hurts even more."

"Okay," I stand up. "For what it's worth, I really am sorry."

"Thank you," She whispers.

I open her door, closing it quietly behind me. I don't make a move to leave, instead lean against the door, sliding down the wood, and cover my face with my knees. No tears come out, I've cried enough tears this past week that there are no more tears left to cry. Instead, my mind swarms with negative thoughts.

This is all my fault.

I ruined the one good thing I had going for me.

I hurt her.

I can never feel like this again.

———————————————
Only 13 more chapters left to go.