𝟭𝟵 𝘜𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘚𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴

TW: Smoking

TW: Smoking

[Secret Love Song - Little Mix]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Even though I'm smoking the fuck out of this cigarette, it isn't helping as much as it usually does. I can focus on the taste and the look of the smoke adding to the air, but this time my mind is solely focused on one thing. I can't help but lose my mind over the dinner tonight. Tony is actively trying to push Eden away from me, and no one at the table even attempted to stop him. Eden tried, but from the look on her face, she looked like she was going to cry. Or punch someone in the face. Maybe a mix of both. That dinner was more awkward than the first ever dinner I had here, and I wanted to jump out of the 3rd story window back then. Tonight, I wanted to waterboard myself with the bottle of wine in the middle of the table.

The balcony is small, and the glass sliding windows to my bedroom are pushed against my back as my legs are stretched out in front of me, touching the small metal barred barrier. This is my second cigarette since I came out here 20 minutes ago and I'm trying to go slowly, forgetting tonight. I was absolutely terrified when I came out of the jet earlier, turned ecstatic when I saw Eden, and then felt enraged when dinner came. Now, I feel nothing. No, that's a lie. I feel betrayed. I know not everyone in this compound likes me, some even hate me, but I thought they would be able to see that Tony was in the wrong. Eden is a grown woman and can make her own decisions. If she wants to be around me, then that is her choice. Even I can vouch for that, and I'm my biggest hater.

My back falls slightly as the door slides open, feet walk out onto the small balcony. I look up and see Eden, a lighter and a blanket in her hands. She smiles when I look up at her, shifting slightly to give her room to sit down beside me. She happily takes it, sprawling the blanket out over both of our legs. Her shoulder touches mine, and I like it. Surprisingly, I don't pull away. I usually don't like physical touch, but this is Eden.

"This is the last place I thought I would find you." She speaks.

"Well, you found me." I pull a drag of my cigarette.

"I'm sorry about my dad." She turns to face me. "He was out of order tonight. I tried to talk to him about it but he ran off to his office with Bruce. I can only hope Bruce will say something to him."

"Don't worry about it." I don't think anyone will say anything to him. "It's not your fault."

"I know, but I should have done something."

"What could you have done?" I question.

"I don't know, something." She shrugs. "He can't do that."

"But, he did."

"But, I won't let him do that." Her body turns to me. "He has no control over me. I've had it with everyone being in my business."

"What do you mean?"

"The team." She sighs. "Because I'm one of the youngest here, everyone feels the need to protect me. Before, I couldn't even bring a guy home without him being interrogated. They were always scared off before I could ask for a second date. That's why I gave up on dating in the end. There was no point in trying if my dad, or Steve, Sam, Scott, or Nat would push them away."

"What's so different about me?"

"I actually want to try." She smiles. "I'll probably fight any of them if they try to push this away. I'm an adult, they need to see that. I can protect myself."

I push the bud of my cigarette on the concrete, burning out the end. Straight after, I pull out another cigarette and Eden swiftly lights the end. Instead of pulling a drag, I pass the cigarette over to Eden and she instantly smokes it. The place is silent but comfortable and she leans closer to me, leaning her head on my shoulder. I place my hand on her lap, not pushing it by placing it anywhere inappropriate and making her feel uncomfortable. But, she grabs my hand, holding it tightly in her own. She passes me the cigarette and we smoke it together until it is down to the end. When it does, no one makes a move to get up. We both lie against each other, looking at the beautiful scenery of New York at night. There are a few lights on in people's apartments, business offices, and streetlights. The night skies have a blanket of stars, littered all over the black background. Eden's head drops slightly against my shoulder and I turn to face her, seeing that her eyes are closed and her mouth is open. I begin to tidy up around us and start to pick her up bridal style, walking through my bedroom and down the hallway. Her bedroom is only a few doors down and I open her door, placing her on top of her bed. She was already dressed in some pyjamas, so I pull the covers up and slide her body under them. I lean down, placing a soft kiss on her forehead and watch her face contort into a smile.

"Goodnight, Eden." I leave her room, letting her sleep.

———————————————
PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT