𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 9

Chant of the Blades

"𝑨 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒏 𝒎𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒚 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅 𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒗𝒐𝒊𝒅 𝒊𝒕"
-𝑱𝒆𝒂𝒏 𝒅𝒆 𝑳𝒂 𝑭𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒆

━━━━━━━━

On New Year's Eve, the heart of Megapolis bustles with excitement. While some revel on the wondrous displays and street performances, Pigsy's Noodle Shop bustles with activity as he sets up a food truck to cater to the crowds gathering for the fireworks. Renowned for his handmade noodles, Pigsy sees a lucrative evening ahead. However, stress mounts as the throngs of customers converge, eager for a taste of his culinary delights.

"WOULD YOU GUYS PLEASE SCREW AROUND SOMEWHERE ELSE?! I GOT A BUSINESS TO RUN, SO IF YOU AIN'T GONNA HELP, THEN GO SOMEPLACE ELSE!" Pigsy barks at the small gathering that his friends are having in his work space.

Mei pitches in by preparing dumplings, while Tang enjoys some noodles he actually paid for. Sandy arrives laden with treats, completing the team, except for the absent delivery boy, who's training with the Monkey King.

"Relax, Pigsy. It's New Year's Eve! You should enjoy yourself, even if you're working," Mei reassures him.

"And remember, you're not alone in this. Even without MK, you've got all the help you needed," Tang points out, nodding towards the new recruit, diligently serving customers in MK's absence.

Ying Xiu, with her radiant smile, serves customers with grace, earning admiration and even tips, which is a first for Pigsy's Noodles. Though initially overshadowed by MK's efficiency, Ying Xiu's efforts easily earns Pigsy's gratitude. The chef shoots a glare before diving into another batch of pasta dough. As silence descends, the trio exchange speculative glances. Ying Xiu approaches with the empty bowls she collected, placing them on the counter. "Here's an extra tip!" Sensing his initial glare earlier, she feels a twinge of guilt, acknowledging her skills still lag behind MK's. "I apologize. I'm still adjusting. I'll strive to be quicker," she offers, observing her senior coworker's efficiency and her own need for improvement.

"No need to apologize. I appreciate your help, especially on a holiday," Pigsy replies warmly, handing her more orders to serve.

"No no, that's great. You're doing well, Ying Xiu. I'm just... really glad that I got another set of hands helping me on a holiday," Pigsy says with a smile, nudging four bowls towards her. "These are for table three. And after that, there will be four deliveries. Is that manageable for you?"

"Sure thing, boss," Ying Xiu salutes, managing to balance all four bowls awkwardly in her arms as she heads out to serve.

Pigsy couldn't contain the smile that crept onto his face, a stark contrast to the frustration that had consumed him just moments ago. Mei, ever observant, sidled over with a mischievous glint in her eye, playfully jabbing him on the shoulder, "Is that a big smile I see on our sweet little Pigsy?" His grin wanes, replaced by a scowl.

Tang, always ready to tease, leaned in with a mock whisper, "Looks like somebody's a little too nice with his new assistant."

Pigsy shoots them a glare. "You want me to be a tyrant to my employees?"

Tang shrugs. "Well, you're not exactly gentle with MK when he's slow on deliveries."

"Yeah, so? Can't I show kindness once in a while?"