Episode 72 "The Dentist in the Ditch" Part 1

Start from the beginning

Cam begins to scratch herself as she asks, "Any idea how to, uh, remove the body from the sediment?" I then say, "If we remove the moisture from the clay, then it should just fall away without affecting the bones at all." Hodgins nods adding, "You just need four dehumidifiers." I nod, "Yes, and after seeing them, I'm not going near it until only the bones remain and nothing more." Cam is continuing to scratch herself as Hodgins asks, "You okay there, Dr. Saroyan?" "Yeah, I'm just itchy all over. I'm gonna go... burn all of these clothes and maybe my hair." I nod, "You know what... I will do that too." We leave to change and burn our clothes. Later I come back up to the platform with Temp as we see the bones more clearly even though there were still some clays stuck at the bottom of the skeleton. Vincent looks at us and begins explaining, "Phosphate and calcium have leaked from the bones... into the clay in several places, making the bones softer and the clay harder." I nod looking at the remains as Temp puts on some gloves as she says, "I see you started with dentition." Vincent nods, "Interesting juxtaposition. Substandard dental work, but top-of-the-line materials. I thought that might help with identification." I nod as Temp says, "I've seen that before in people who get their treatment for free at a dental school." Vincent then says, "Suggesting that the victim was poor." I look at Vincent a bit amused, "Specious leap, Vincent. He has Tendinitis in his elbow. The hook of the hamate shows wear from torque, rotational force and repeated tugging."

Vincent stammers as Temp and I looked at him a bit confused as he explains, "I only have inappropriate comments off the phrase 'repeated tugging." I try not to laugh as Temp says, "These are occupational markers for many professions, including funeral directors, surgeons, dentists, mechanics." Vincent then says, "A dentist would most likely have dental work done... by other students while in dental school. That would explain the work on his teeth." Temp and I nod agreeing as Temp says, "next I'd like theories as to what might have caused... the initial damage to the sternum." "Even though it's been severely degraded by demineralization?" She nods, "Yes." "Okay. I'll have to remove the rest of the clay first." Temp leaves first as Vincent says, "Oh, I will get you to praise me, Dr. Brennan. I will have you look at me... with admiration and astonishment-" I then say, "Vincent... you're speaking out loud." He looks at me with wide eyes as I chuckle as Temp turns around only hearing him mumble something as she asks, "I'm sorry, Mr. Nigel-Murray. Were you speaking to me?" Vincent didn't know what to say as I could only cover my laughter as he then says, "No, Dr. Brennan. I was simply- I was running through my knowledge... of clay." She nods leaving as I say, "Nice save Vincent. Good luck with the rest of the clay." He just sighs nodding as I leave following Temp.

We are with Booth in the car as Temp asks, "You think your brother's girlfriend is 'hinky'? Is that slang for pretty or buxom?" I nod, "That's something I haven't heard of either. What does it mean?" Booth explains, "No, it's just slang for iffy." I then say, "But isn't 'iffy' already a slang?" Temp nods agreeing as she adds, "I don't see the need for slang for slang." "Okay, look. The point is, there was a hinky vibe between me and her. You know what? I don't expect you two to understand, Bones, Blueberry." I nod, "Your right. I don't understand." Booth nods as he then says, "The victim's dental records confirm his identity." I lean over to Temps seat as we read the file as I say, "Dan Pinard." he nods, "Mm-hmm." Temp then adds, "Dentist. Lives alone." She then asks, "Are they happy together?" Booth looked confused, "What?" "Jared and Padme. Do they seem happy? You put a high premium on feelings." "Don't go twisting this around, Bones." "You used to think that people could find true love." "I still do, okay? But this is Jared, all right? He only just got sober." I then say, "Well, if he's sober, he should be able to find love. I don't understand the rules." Temp nods, "I agree, I don't understand the rules as well." Booth then says, "Ah. There are rules. There's just life, okay? There's just life. Example did you follow any sort of rules to get to the relationship you and Wendell are at right now Blueberry?" I think for a bit and shake my head, "I suppose we didn't. I see your point now Ranger." He nods happy to be able to make sense to one of us.