36 - Tearing Through The Darkness

Happy Holi, my dear friends !!!!

Recap (from Chap 25-Consequences)

He (Gino) snorted, moving his face away from me in anger, and I (Nash Green) smiled at that, "you don't believe me? Well, you are still alive and that's the biggest proof. Your wishes and your desires are very small, brother. If you had only chosen to support me, we could have done wonders. But since you did not, just sit back till I win over Beaufort and all those made me suffer all my life. And this time they will suffer the consequence that they never even imagined. Till then, I love you, bro." I said and started leaving, while my dear brother kept struggling with his muffled voice.

Recap (from Chap 31 - Delusion)

"No... No, Ria..." Gino said as he brushed his fingers through my hair and to my surprise, I did not feel scared of him, and he urged, "No one would believe in me. Mark took good care of that... Also, you cannot share the truth of tonight to anyone, Ria... not to your brothers, not to my parents, not even to Daniel. Mark has kept me alive only to use me as a bait. If he knows that the truth is revealed, he will kill, and he will kill everyone who knows about it, starting with you first!"

AND NOW...

Nash Green/ Mark POV (Brook Tiger's long lost nephew in some place unknown)

"Boss, they have fainted. I don't think there is a point to torture them any further." Carlo, my second-in-command, came to me while I was lighting my 3rd cigar in a row.

This was the secret place, only known to a handful of my trusted men. Away from town, away from people, on the outskirts of Sedona and surrounded by trees that could not be counted as forest, but good enough to give the needed cover, this place became my favorite in the last 6 months. I never felt so peaceful, so confident, and so capable before anywhere else.

The place, the building, the rooms were dark, hidden, dull, rumpled, just like my childhood, my entire existence. Maybe that's why I felt so belonged to this place.

But the stupid events from last few days made so mad... enraged that this place too could not sooth me.

I looked at Carlo, raising my eyebrows, "Carlo, I spent a hell lot of time, networking with the most notorious people in Beaufort. I changed places multiple times to find the best set of men, and I got you, along with your men." I stood up tall and spoke, "Is this the best I was looking for? Your men could not keep a sick, tied person in their custody? Huh?"

Carlo remained silent for a while and then gently replied, "Boss, I know you are angry. But you have to understand that it takes a lot more than a handful of men to keep a kidnapped person hidden, and that's money. And you know that we are lacking that... a lot. So you get money, and I will assure that this won't happen again. Besides, your brother, even though he is tied and tired, is very, very cunning. I am not sure how he could fool the boys and free himself."

I gave a tough look to Carlo and signaled him to leave the room. And when he did, I threw my cigar with anger and paced at Gino, who was tied to a chair. I bent and grabbed his collar and shouted, "look brother, look how lonely and helpless you have made me! Just see! Even Carlo, the best of my lot, admires your intelligence!"

No response. Still no response from him!

I got up angrily and spat out, "No one else knows you better than me, that what you are capable of! Getting out of here, if you are really determined, you can do it no time. And why you did that... to save your Ria, who threw you away like trash? All I asked you was to join me in getting ourselves back to track, but you didn't!"