Chapter 66

It was a few days later and Taehyung had noticed that Clara did everything she could to avoid mirrors. Even when she brushed her teeth her eyes were firmly downcast looking at the sink, or she'd turn around so her back or side were to the mirror. He was starting to wonder if she'd even worked up the courage to see what she now looked like.

To be honest, her injury was not very nice to look at. Even Taehyung had a hard time looking her in the face sometimes. But he constantly reminded himself that Clara needed him to be rock solid in his support, particularly in areas where she was likely to feel self-conscious. So he used every bit of his idol training to maintain a straight face and a strong facade while he developed a plan to help restore her self confidence.

Any setback here could be worse than ignoring the issue entirely, so Taehyung shared his plan first with Namjoon, and then with Clara's parents to ensure he'd thought through any risks. He'd received their blessing for his ideas so he decided he was going to start tonight.

When the couple went to wash up in the bathroom before bed, Taehyung casually mentioned to Clara that he thought her injuries looked like they were healing well, seeing if she would look in the mirror to confirm. But she still didn't look, just humming her agreement. This felt like the proof Taehyung needed to take the next step.

"Hey Clara, have you really looked at yourself since the accident? I'm only asking because you seem to avoid mirrors and I wonder if you imagine something that is worse than it really is."

Clara wouldn't even look at Taehyung so he knew he was right.

"I know it's hard, but let's do it together. We can work up to it ok?"

"Ok" was the quiet reply.

"I want you to start by looking in the mirror at me standing next to you, can you do that?"

Clara nodded yes.

"Ok, now keep watching but only in the mirror. What am I doing?"

"Smiling at me?"

"Yes, I'm smiling at my beautiful wife. Now what am I doing?"

"Rubbing my belly." Clara started to laugh as it tickled a bit.

"That's right." Now Taehyung moved closer and grabbed her hand, holding it against his lips. "And now?"

"Holding my hand." Clara murmured. Taehyung marveled that even the smallest of actions like this started to make Clara become quieter in shyness. Oh how he hoped she never ever changed.

"And now?" Taehyung put his lips on her uninjured cheek, watching in the mirror to ensure she was still looking. He could tell her response was slowing as she began to have to take in her own features as Taehyung moved closer to her injury.

"Kissing my cheek."

"Good girl, and now?"

"Bumping noses" Clara was now talking almost in a whisper.

From here Taehyung transferred to her injured side, very carefully kissing her check right behind her injury, giving her no choice but to look more closely. Moving slowly to give her more time to take in her injury he eventually asked, "and now?" Giving her ear a tiny nip in the process.

"You...". Clara just trailed off, staring at herself in the mirror.

"I'm looking at my beautiful wife." Taehyung whispered, assuring her that he still adored her even with her injuries.

Taehyung continued to lightly nuzzle her, gently kissing her neck and ear and refusing to shy away from her injury, giving her time to really look at herself and come to terms with her coming scar. After a few minutes he moved behind her, wrapping his arms around her and resting his chin on her shoulder.