Chapter 46

The doctor came in shortly after Namjoon and Clara's conversation ended. He rechecked Clara's vitals, asked her to repeat the details of what had happened, and inquired about her current symptoms.

"I was able to contact your OB, she told me there aren't a lot of options to treat nausea that are available for pregnant women. The one good option will likely make you very tired, but at this point that seems much better than the alternative."

"In the meantime I think you look stable enough so I can run out to get the medication and some additional supplies. But I don't want to leave you alone until we are sure that we have the nausea fully under control. Someone either needs to stay with you or you need to move somewhere where someone can keep an eye on you."

Namjoon immediately offered that she could come back to the dorms and stay in Taehyung's bed there. "There should be someone around for most of the next few days and we know you are comfortable staying there. Does that work?"

But before Clara could respond, Taehyung's mother cut in. "Clara will stay with us. I am already home and I've gone through pregnancy so I'm more well suited to watch her symptoms. Also this is my grandchild and I don't feel it is appropriate for Clara to stay in a dorm full of single men when her husband is out of town."

Namjoon knew Clara wouldn't be comfortable staying with Taehyung's parents. Even the way she'd just explained her reasoning was about Taehyung, the baby, and her own personal comfort. What would be best for Clara or what she might prefer hadn't seemed to even cross her mind.

"Ok" Clara whispered. Namjoons heart broke because he could tell how uncomfortable Clara was with the suggestion, but he didn't know how to help her without potentially causing a rift.

"Just for a couple days, ok sweetheart?" he smiled at Clara trying to encourage her. "Then Taehyung will be back."

Clara nodded somberly while staring at her fiddling hands.

"Actually" Dr. Park cut in, "I'd prefer if Clara stayed at the dorms. The company has rules about where I am permitted to provide medical care. I can provide the most assistance if she is at a property that the company owns, like the boys dorms. I'm sorry Mrs. Kim, but I hope you can understand?"

Clara visibly relaxed while Namjoon quickly agreed with the doctor's advice, hoping to avoid any more disruptions. With a brief nod, he let everyone know that he would reach out to the rest of the guys to let them know, leaving Clara with the doctor and her mother-in-law.

Mrs. Kim sighed, but acknowledged she couldn't fight the doctor's reasoning. Instead she told the doctor that he needed to provide updates to her at least twice a day until everything was settled, since Taehyung would want her to supervise Clara's care in his absence.

The doctor relented. He'd already stretched the truth a bit knowing how important Clara's comfort was and seeing that she clearly wouldn't be comfortable staying with Taehyung's parents. Providing regular updates felt like the least he could do and it might offer Clara a bit of extra buffer as she was recovering.

Namjoon returned shortly, asking Clara if she was ready to transition. She had a few basics at the dorm already and could always snuggle into Taehyung's clothes that he left in his closet. So she didn't need to take anything but her small shoulder bag that held her tablet, wallet and phone. The doctor unhooked her IV, taping the needle to keep it in place. He then prepared to leave, letting Namjoon and Clara know he'd be at the dorms in less than an hour to help get Clara settled and continue her care.

Clara slid toward the edge of the bed to get up but quickly discovered her strength had left her with the strain of the last few days. Namjoon helped her sit back down on the bed and then offered to carry her to the car downstairs where the manager was waiting. With Clara's consent he picked her up, her arms wrapped around his neck and her legs slung over his hips, face buried in his neck. Namjoon grabbed a blanket to pull over her to both protect her privacy and keep her warm. Grabbing her bag on the way, he made sure the door was shut tight before heading to the elevator.

The drive was quick, but Clara still fell asleep on the short journey. Picking her back up Namjoon carried her into the apartment, gently depositing her on Taehyung bed. Jin, who was the only one home since the filming of his individual package was finished early, he followed close behind and helped Namjoon gather anything he needed so he could stay with her until the doctor returned.

About half an hour later Jin let Dr. Park in, escorting him to Clara's room. Allowing her to continue sleeping, the doctor reattached her IV. Adding to it some medication for her nausea along with a vitamin supplement. He carefully checked her vitals again, working cautiously to avoid waking her. After he was done he motioned for Namjoon to follow him into the hallway.

"Normally I wouldn't do this, but I'd like to stay until I'm able to get her through a couple more bags of fluids. It is just a precautionary measure since she is pregnant. I can also keep an eye on her vitals so we'll know early if she begins to experience any difficulties. I didn't want to say too much earlier, but she really was in quite serious condition when we found her. I'll rest more easily if I can see a few more hours of good progress. If that's ok for you, I'd appreciate if you could show me to a place where I can wait that won't be in your way."

"Thank you Dr. Park," Namjoon responded. He was a bit worried himself that something would go wrong and he wouldn't be able to handle it alone. "You can feel free to sit in our living room. It will be no trouble at all. By the way, is this just going to happen again? How can we make sure it doesn't?"

"Well, this is something that needs to be discussed. There are medications that can help, but from what I understand Clara is still working. At least for a while the side effects will likely make her so tired that I doubt she'll be able to continue with her job. But at the moment I don't see a lot of good alternatives. She seems to be experiencing quite severe morning sickness and it could last for weeks, even months. If we don't do something to get it under control we'll be right back in this situation again after only a few days."

The doctor continued, "I've also talked to the company and instructed them that I want the dietician to prepare specific meals for her. She's quite petite and I worry she may have difficulty gaining weight appropriately. That will become an even bigger concern if she is sensitive to foods due to nausea. Being tired from the new medication probably won't help her appetite either. Pre-portioned meals will make it easier for her to ensure she's eating and drinking enough. Then if there is an issue we should notice it much sooner. The dietician will provide Taehyung with a full set of meals each day that he can bring home for Clara to eat the next day. But until he gets back, I'll have to ask one of you to help ensure they get to her."

"Thank you again doctor. I appreciate how careful you are with her. And I'm sure Taehyung will feel the same way." With a bow Namjoon left the doctor in the living room and returned to Clara's bedside to keep a further eye on her. He tried to read a book, but kept being distracted thinking about Taehyung and how he wasn't here and most likely didn't even know what had happened. Namjoon hoped this would never happen again.