Chapter 62

By the time Clara woke up again Namjoon, Jin, and Dr. Park had left to return to the company, satisfied that between Taehyung and Namjoon's parents, her care was in good hands. Taehyung had already agreed with Namjoon's parents that he would encourage Clara to stay with them for at least a few days until she was further in her healing. As long as they stayed at their Seoul apartment it would be easy enough for him to come stay with her every night. And he knew everyone would worry less if someone was watching over her while he was at work.

When Clara woke back up her mother-figure gently but insistently asked her to try to eat and drink something, noting that the doctor had requested it specifically. While Clara remained quite tender from her recent cleaning, she was eventually able to find a position that was comfortable enough to slowly nibble on her dinner, which Taehyung largely fed her by his own hand. Eating did seem to perk her up considerably. And while she still wasn't talking, at least she wasn't totally blocking others out.

After the meal Taehyung brought her back to the bed and made sure she stayed comfortable. He didn't want to press, but he was hoping he could get some information from her on exactly what had happened.

After a bit of prodding from Taehyung, Clara started her story slowly, often taking long breaks to try to remember relevant details. She remembered having her bag taken but then she seemed to have a total blank until she recalled waking up in the emergency room. She was confused when she first woke up, she had hit her head quite hard and all of the people around her asking questions were overwhelming. She wasn't feeling very confident that she fully understood what everyone was saying, and she kept becoming confused because they were using Korean medical terms she'd never heard before. Overall it felt like there were too many people talking too fast all at once. They left her for several hours before returning with a nurse who could speak some English.

At this point in the story Clara took a long pause, simply staring at the ceiling. Taehyung could tell that she was trying to hold back more tears. Clara felt like she'd cried enough the last few days and each time seemed to just add to her raging headache. Instead she focused on taking deep breaths while Taehyung gently rubbed her knuckles with his thumb, inviting her to take as much time as she needed before she continued.

"Well, you know how my bag was stolen? I didn't have my phone anymore and I realized I didn't have anyone's phone number memorized. Both you and Namjoon changed numbers several times recently, and even Namjoon's parents had to change theirs a few months ago when their information got out. I realized at that point that I just rely on my phone contacts list if I need to reach anyone."

Taehyung was starting to see where this story was going so he reassured her that he fully understood how that might have happened. After all, he often did the same now that he thought about it.

After another longer pause, Clara started to softly talk again, looking back at Taehyung rather than the ceiling. "Tae, I...I just didn't know what to do. If I asked the hospital to call Big Hit everything might come out and we've worked so hard to keep our secret. Everyone would know you aren't single, and not only that but you have a wife. And she's pregnant!"

Taehyung shushed her trying to calm her again, assuring her everything would be ok and he understood why she didn't ask them to call, even though she could have and he would have figured it out. After all, she was the most important priority.

"Tae" Clara paused, "but...but I did ask them to call. Everything was hurting and I didn't know what else to do. So I asked them to call and have them pass a message to you."

This caught Taehyung by surprise. He was sure this is the type of message they wouldn't forget to pass along, particularly considering how everyone around him knew how distraught he was that she was missing. And now only that, the company was devoting so many of their own resources to help find her.

"But Clara, I never got a message. You know I would have come right away."

"I know." Clara whispered. Then staring back at the ceiling she said something that broke Taehyung's heart. "They thought I was a sasaeng".

"What?" Taehyung pulled back a bit to make sure he had a good view of her face while he asked his next question. "Why would they think that?"

Clara sniffled, "Well Tae, I think the person they called just didn't know about us. I know you've tried to keep our relationship a secret even within the company, so she probably had no idea. I probably did seem like a sasaeng."

Taehyung could feel his heart breaking. His dearest love had suffered so much and this was one more indignity. But by now Clara just wanted to finish telling her story so she could stop having to remember it anymore.

"When I asked them to try again the nurse said no. She said that they would only call one of my family members. I finally found another nurse to call, but the company told the nurse that you were single and asked the hospital to please stop calling."

"I could tell the hospital staff believed it too. I am a foreign pregnant girl with no ID, and they couldn't find any insurance information for me since I think the company just pays all my medical bills directly. I couldn't give them any other ideas of who to call beyond a world famous idol who seemed to have no idea who I was. I was so embarrassed and at that point I just wanted to leave."

"I could hear them talking about how I had no insurance, and the emergency room doctor told them to just do what they needed to in order to get me on my way as cheaply and quickly as possible."

Taehyung's heart was collapsing as he heard her story unfold. He could see it all happening and envision how terrible it must have been to be in Clara's position. Clara was starting to cry in earnest by this part of the story, remembering the hash looks and uncaring manner of the nurses.

"You know what made me the most upset Taehyung?" she choked out, "When I found out I was pregnant with twins the company couldn't wait to tell everyone, not even giving me the chance to tell my own husband first. But when the issue was my own health, they didn't know who I was."

Taehyung really could offer nothing in response beyond a chest to cry on, comforting words of apology, and gentle holding so she would know he was there now and he saw and understood her.