17

— the prestige

avoiding rin at school was easy.

for starters, she never shared any of her classes with him except for chemistry which she only had thrice a week. moreover, during the duration of the class, he'd only ever communicate to her about the subject--nothing more, nothing less.

it was even easier during practice whenever yn visited them, rin would never pay any attention to her. his eyes and body were all moving in rhythm to the ball. he only had one goal in mind when he was in the field and that was to become the best.

his obsessive personality made it all th more easier for yn to avoid confrontation with him. or was she avoiding confrontation with herself? had she caused herself to feel for the team's captain? she would never admit it.

however, whenever their practice ended, rin's teal eyes would always traverse from yn and the exit of the gym. it was as if he was desiring to talk to her, longing to hear her voice again. it was clear that he just wanted to talk to her but she wasn't allowing it.

luckily, this unusual behaviour of hers went unnoticed by the entirety of their friend group--even shidou didn't bring up their rather, awkward interaction from the week prior. most of their friends just assumed that everything was normal since they believed that yn and rin were just avoiding.

well, they weren't wrong about that. what they didn't know was what had caused her avoidant behaviour.

currently, however, yn was scrolling through her phone as the screams and shouts of her friends echoed throughout the gym. she was waiting for kenyu to finish practice so he could drive her home as they lived fairly close together. furthermore, her dad wasn't present at school today so she had to depend on kenyu, otherwise, she would've just gone home with her father.

the enthusiastic voice of reo grounded her back to reality; he was asking her a question: 'oi! we're gonna have a sleepover at my house on friday, wanna come?'

he was inviting her to his house. yn had known that reo had descended from wealth and to see it all up close? she couldn't miss such an opportunity.

'kay, who's coming?' she shouted back.

'uhh, nagi obviously; i think eita, karasu and kenyu, too? shidou's a yes and he's dragging along rin-rin's brother too. aryu and zentetsu, too!' he explained.

no rin, that's good. that's exactly what she wanted. a weekend with her friends, without bearing to deal with rin.

'great! text me the details!' she shouted again. reo nodded at her request and a few moments later, she got the text from reo of his location.

once practice was over, yn trailed behind kenyu as he lead the way towards his car.

when yn entered and seated herself down on the passenger's seat, she couldn't help but enamour at the inside of his car. for a model, yukki was really down-to-earth--his car wasn't lavish like all the other models yn had encountered, it was so mundane, just like yukki.

yukki sat down on the driver's seat, next to her and kindly asked her to fasten her seatbelt to which she obliged.

they drove in silence for a while until they approached a red traffic light. yukki sighed and turned to look at the woman beside him, who was lost deep in thought.

'did something happen between you and rin?' he asked, the question startled yn.

'what do you mean?'

'maybe it's just me but i noticed how you've been avoiding him--as in, usually, you'd try and rile him up but lately, you haven't even looked at him properly.'

'hmm? no we're fine. perfectly fine.' she stammered, trying to not make her answer sound unconvincing.

'well, if you say so but you can always talk to me about any problems helping you--i'd love to help.'

she smiled at his thoughtful comment, 'thank you, yukki.'

the rest of the car ride was spent with both yn and yukki communicating with each toher about anything and everything--yukki complained about his teammates whereas yn would tell him anecdotes of her time before changing schools.

it was quite enjoyable. she really enjoyed yukki's company. though, they didn't talk much before or after college hours, she cherished the small conversations she had with him every now and then.

she just wished he wasn't so observant.

[ 747 words ]