13

— breaking bad # 2

sometimes, yn wished she wasn't so noticeable.

in chemistry class, today, she rushed in quickly—many minutes before her teacher's arrival and tried to quietly sit beside nagi, just so she could avoid having to deal with rin and his tediousness.

rin was always so well-kept with a straight posture and a right mindset. it intrigued yn, to say the least. she was so curious, she wanted to desperately know what made him tick and why he always flinched at the mere mention of his brother.

however, today, in particular, yn didn't want to deal with rin at all after she managed to upset him (again) early in the morning by bumping into him, making him drop his items and she knew that he would be giving her the cold shoulder today (as if he already didn't give it to her).

but alas, nothing ever worked in yn's favour now, did it?

merely moments after the entrance of mr miyazawa, his eyes landed on dear yn, who was nicely conversing with nagi.

'yn, please do enlighten me as to why you're sitting next to nagi, again when i've already assigned you your seat next to rin?'

embarrassed, humiliated, insulted.

she sheepishly stood up and quietly made her way next to rin while mumbling death threats towards the teacher.

the lesson then continued. yn was too embarrassed to even pay attention in the class or ever look at the teacher. hell, she couldn't even muster up the courage to glance at rin—who didn't even say anything to her and kept his focus on the class.

yn kept fiddling with the hem of her skirt throughout the class.

the class was a bore or maybe that was because yn wasn't paying attention that is, until, mr miyazawa informed them of a 'midterm project': a project or model that would be worth around 20% of their final grade for the term. they had around 2 weeks to submit it and the best part? it was a pair effort! meaning, yn was going to have to cooperate with rin. how fun.

the rest of the lesson was given to discuss the project.

rin turned to her, lacking any enthusiasm. she greeted him with a smile, a fake smile that made him scowl.

'so,' he began, 'i say we do a demonstration on different ways to identify simple compounds. it's the simplest of all the options, assuming you can handle it,' he spoke condescendingly.

she raised her brow, 'i can. we're doing a demonstration in class right? along with a presentation on why they react in such a way?' he nodded as confirmation.

'great, i'll write down your part and mine then, we can discuss the rest at my home since i have most of the materials required for this,' he informed, 'you are comfortable with coming over to my house, right?'

'i am!' she replied with a slight smile. 'great, don't mess it up. if you do so, you'll be decreasing my grade as well,' he said.

did he really think she was that incompetent? moreover, why did he think so highly of himself?

'i'm aware,' was all she could muster. he replied with a slight nod and began to draft his idea.

he really pissed her off.

sure, he was athletic and smart, furthermore, she'd be lying if she said she wasn't attracted to his condescending demeanor. but man, did she want to punch to him.

did he really believe her to be an imbecile? yes, she could be quite childish at times but to doubt her skills in chemistry? he was just reaching too far. she really wanted to prove him wrong.

with this project, she'll finally remind rin itoshi of his place.

[ 628 words ]