02

— as good as it gets

the following morning came faster than y/n anticipated. she wasn't enthusiastic at all about having to change schools so abruptly. and the worst part was that she had to wear a white uniform. she didn't mind uniforms but this one, in particular, was so bright that it made her eyes scream in pain.

upon arriving at her new school, she hurriedly made her way to her class: 12-C, careful to not get noticed by any student or teacher. her father had told her that he'd already talked to the principal and teachers about her arrival so at least, that gave her some sort of reassurance. however, the mere idea of being in such a prestigious school terrified her.

the big, brown door stared at her, shouting at her to run far away; she knew the conditions on the other side of the door were hostile but she was ready to finally face her fears and welcome the change.

the classroom was rather large, it reminded her of the first day she arrived at a class similar to this, the major difference being the room number, it read 7-B instead of 12-C. she didn't know it then but the people who studied in that class were going to change her life for the better. she was feeling deeply nostalgic but she didn't want her thoughts to ruin her new beginning, not anymore.

the class was seemingly very quiet as not many students were present—she was early which meant she could happily sit anywhere in the room and no one would bat an eye. she found a rather comfortable-looking seat near the far end of the room, it was in the left side meaning she could perfectly hide there. she went up ahead and plopped her backpack on the table, taking her place on the seat.

she read the time: 7:31AM; it meant that she still had some time to kill before the seriousness began so she grabbed her the bell jar copy from her bag and began to read it.

the time seemed to move on very fast, none of the other students paid her any attention and she was grateful—she just wanted to enjoy the tranquility before she forced into working hard.

y/n didn't notice it at first due to her being caught up in her reading that two teenagers were standing near her desk, looking at her then at each other, whispering and mumbling.

one of the two teenagers had purple hair with a great posture, indicating that he might be a descendant of importance and wealth while the other one had white hair who was leaning onto the other for support, whispering in his ear.

'reo, tell her to get off. that's my spot.'

at last, the purple-haired male turned his attention to you to greet you and request you to kindly leave his best friend's seat: 'excuse me but uh, you're sitting in nagi's seat,' he spoke as he pointed to the male next to him—who was now lost in the world of his game, his attention with it.

y/n mentally scolded herself, her first interaction here and it was a student telling her to leave. how embarrassing. 'ah—i'm sorry, i didn't know,' she apologized as she took her bag and tried to move to another spot.

'wait!' the purple male called out to her, 'i haven't seen you before, are you new here?'

y/n was shocked at the man's observations, 'yeah, just moved.'

a smile was now plastered on his face, 'that's cool, what's your name? i'm reo mikage,' he said as he extended an arm for her to shake, which she gladly took.

'y/n l/n, it's nice to meet you,' she replied. immediately, the male's eyes widened; y/n knew exactly what this had meant.

'l/n... like coach l/n?' he asked. she only nodded in response.

yes, unfortunately for y/n, her father was the coach of the soccer team for this specific school which meant that she was well-versed in the ways of soccer and sportsmanship. she did enjoy playing soccer quite a lot with her peers but she never desired it to be anymore than that. she didn't want to give away her entire future for the idea that one day, she could be a good player and join a team; it was a gamble she didn't take, not anymore, at least.

'woah, do you play?' he asked further, to him, y/n l/n had gotten a lot more interesting. 'no, i don't but i do know the rules and stuff,' she replied.

'such a shame, i wanted to play with our coach's daughter,' he said but it sounded as if he was talking more to himself than her. 'hey, do you wanna watch us play today? we have practice at the gym every other day and i'd love to show off my skills,' he asked her.

'sure! i can watch, just let take me to the court yard so that i don't get lost, 'kay?' she smiled. she didn't expect it but she surely enjoyed reo's company, maybe she'd come to fall in love with this new environment too.

'deal!' he enthusiastically replied, 'by the way, there's any empty seat behind mine if you wanna sit,' he informed her.

'thanks,' she replied to him gratefully as she sat on the desk behind his.

she didn't know it then but her life was going to change for the better with the company of this new soccer team.

—

[ 941 words ]

[ 941 words ]