Chapter 39

A few weeks had flown by since Alex opened up to Bucky, and doing so made her feel a lot more free. Now when she slept, there were barely any nightmares at all. Well—having a sexy super soldier as a boyfriend who cuddled up to her every night played a huge part in that. Anxiety and panic attacks lessened and her memory flashes dulled too. 

Training became her salvation and allowed her to re-learn all about her abilities. Even going as far as mastering how to successfully block out unwanted energies, leaving her empathic skills under control for once.

Alex grew closer to Bucky but despite that they still took it slow. Instead they focused on spending time together, which included lots of making out and having to tear themselves away from each other. The team thought their relationship was adorable.

Needless to say, both of them were doing much, much better.

Casually flipping knives after an intense work out session, Alex threw one, landing her mark on the targets set up to one side of the training room. When she launched her hand back to fire another one, Bucky stepped a foot into the training room and his voice startled her. 

"Hey—" 

He gasped, catching the hilt of the knife stopping it from stabbing him in the face. His eyes widened at the realisation that if he wasn't so quick in reflexes, things would have ended so differently. His gaze slid from the shiny weapon to Alex who stood facing him, feet shoulder width apart, one forwards, one back and her arm was stretched out in the throw position. Her eyes were wide and her lips parted ever so slightly.

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed, then straightened. Bucky chuckled, lowering his hand and walking over.

"God damn, where have you been hiding?" He asked. "I felt the strength in that throw," A smirk formed on his face. She'd become stronger than he remembered. Or maybe it was her awakening and the fact that they had yet to spar together since the last unlucky time he faced off with her.

"Thanks" She said, her tone held a slight cockiness to it, and it made him grin smugly. That grin faded when she shot him a serious glare and then pointed her perfectly manicured finger at him with a scolding he didn't see coming.

"I could've sliced your ear off!"

"Nah," He shook his head. "My reflexes are too good," He shrugged lightly as if it wasn't a big issue that she almost mutilated his perfect face.

Bucky placed the knife down next to the others in the set box she had on the nearby bench. Alex snorted at his overconfidence while unwinding her wrist wraps.

"Well, serves you right if i did," She rebuked. "You shouldn't sneak up on a lady while she's knife training," A head shrug followed.

"Well, if i did get my ear sliced off, i know my lady would nurse me back to health," He licked his lower lip. She cocked her head with a brow raised, almost as if she was imagining what he would look like with an ear missing.

"What are you doing?" he drawled when her brows creased in concentration.

"Imagining,"

"Imagining?" He questioned.

"See, that might be a deal breaker, you've already got a prosthetic arm, i don't think i can be with a guy who has one ear."

The way his mouth parted in a perfect O shape as he gasped had her chuckling. The outright audacity she had to say what she said had him mocking a flabbergasted expression.

"Oh, that's it, you're done for now," He threatened playfully. It only made her laugh and run when he chased her around the training room. When he caught her, tickling her waist, she struggled to break free and more laughter filled the room from both of them.