Chapter 31

ALEX

"Sir i had no choice, she was hesitating," Rumlow informed Pierce as they rushed Alex to the medical wing. 

She was struggling to breathe, feeling emotions for the first time in two months. She'd already lost so much blood which in turn made a large amount of the serum exit her body. They removed the bullet that was still lodged inside her without any anaesthesia, and she felt everything. They sliced her skin open to get deeper into the wound, the way they clamped her tissue and muscle apart to prod around and find the metallic substance then pull it out created a pain she never wanted to feel again.

Alex's cries and whimpers went on deaf ears, she thrashed around but was held down by at least five other soldiers. Pierce gazed down at her with a soft face as he apologised, 

"I'm sorry sweetheart, i had to take precautions, i couldn't have my best asset fail on me," As if he cared about her, as if she was more then just a weapon he used for personal gain to reach the top of the ladder.

"I want you to heal yourself, Illyria." he commanded, and as the order rushed over her, whatever serum remained in her system was still powerful enough to have her obey. The magic worked on its own, spreading through her like a warm embrace as it healed the wound on her stomach.

"Well done, soldier" Pierce praised her, patting her shoulder and gesturing for the men to back away. They did, and she opened her eyes to look up at him towering by the bedside.

"..Those people...that man, in the garden.." She said, voice soft yet she could barely recognise it as her own. The look she saw in Pierce's eyes told her he did not like the fact she could speak on her own.

"They are all threats to Hydra" He snapped, putting an end to her raising suspicions but she still fought hard to hold onto those few images inside her mind. 

He signalled to a doctor across the room and no second later, he came over with a filled syringe. While he obeyed his given command, the doctor still protested a little, he was concerned that it wouldn't be good for her safety if she was to be injected so soon after what she endured. But Pierce was quick to threaten him, and against his own judgement, the doctor injected Alex with more of the serum. 

She whimpered as it surged through her body making her gasp and arch her back as the liquid felt like molten lava coursing through her veins. After the rush she felt an instant relaxation overcome her and any thought she had in her mind, any emotion that lingered, faded away.

"I-i knew them..." She breathed, brows furrowing as she looked back up at Pierce again. 

"I know him...the man with the metal arm...how do i know him?..."

"You met on another mission. They were your targets, nothing more." Pierce snapped, his tone cold and authoritative.

"Bucky?..." She rasped, her voice almost lilting as the focus of her ability to talk, or think faded and a numbness washed over.

"Wipe her" Pierce commanded.

"But sir...she needs to recover, i fear that if we tamper with her right now it could lead to—"

"I said, wipe her, did you not hear where that's an order?" Pierce cut him off then turned dismissively. "See it done, commander" he said, addressing Rumlow. The commander nodded and Pierce left the room.

"Get on with it boys," Rumlow said, shooting narrowed glares at the doctors before he slid his gaze to Alex.

"Lets go have some fun sweetheart," He teased, grabbing her arm and pulling her off the bed. He forced her to walk to the room she dreaded. Pressing down on her shoulders when they got to the chair, Rumlow made her sit and crouched in front of her to be at eye level. He secured one wrist then the next to the arm rests.

"Why'd you make me do it, sweetheart?" He asked, as if he cared about her. "I didn't want to shoot you. So no hard feelings, it was just orders. You know that, business is business," he tucked a loose strand behind her ear and brushed his knuckle along her jawline. 

"God, you're gorgeous, even in this fucked up state,"

He cupped her cheek, thumb stroking across the soft skin and his eyes lowered to her plump lips. It took a second's breath before he clasped her jaw tight and raised up enough to kiss her forcefully. When he pulled back and shoved her into the chair, he smirked.

"This will hurt, i suggest bracing the armrests for support, you're going to need it,"

The machine came to life, the noises seemingly normal to her.

"Open your mouth," He ordered, and she obeyed. 

He pushed the mouth guard in then stepped back and let the doctors do the rest. He watched from the sidelines, hearing her screams of pain rip from her throat. Her knuckles turned white and the arm rests cracked slightly from the sheer strength in her hold.

Rumlow watched it all unflinching with a smirk playing on his face.