A Formal Work Party

"Damnit, c'mon," Bdubs muttered. He narrowed his eyes at his reflection in the full-length mirror in the bedroom. Undoing the weird knot he managed to make in his tie, he realigned the fabric and tried again.

Although he got the knot right, it wasn't laying as flat as he liked and no matter how desperately he attempted to adjust it, nothing was helping.

So he undid it for the fourth time.

Then his pointer finger somehow got stuck.

Doc knocked on the already-opened door. "Ready to go love?"

When Bdubs looked his way, his husband snorted. "I don't know what's wrong with me today," he complained as he undid the failed attempt. "Literally yesterday I did it just fine for my meeting!" As he whined about his failures, Doc strided over and turned his shoulders so Bdubs would completely face him. He helped him with the dark green tie, and when he was done, carefully tightened it and folded over the collar of the light gray button-down.

"There you go." He kissed his forehead as he ran his hands down his arms.

Sighing, Bdubs found a smile on his face. "What would I do without you?" As he tightened his ponytail, Doc took his black suit jacket from the bed and held it out.

Once it was on, another kiss was pressed to the top of his head. "No idea. But I'm glad we don't need to find out."

Turning around, Bdubs kissed him before ensuring nothing was out of place with Doc's ensemble. His suit jacket and pants were silver with a white shirt underneath and a matching tie to his. "And remember what we talked about," he started, leaving his hands on his chest. "Most of the people you work with are also massive introverts. No one will mind if you want to leave early." Chuckling, Doc touched the back of his hands.

"Thanks, Bee. Now we should get going; our ride will be here in about a minute."

-

Some might have assumed that the reason Doc kept a hand on Bdubs' back or side throughout the beginning of the party was for possessive, cautious, or untrusting reasons. But the truth was he felt less like the one introducing Bdubs to his coworkers and more like a scared dog meeting people for the first time.

He hated how much he tensed up during such big social events. At the very least, his husband seemed to be enjoying himself. He laughed at stupid science jokes and shared pet stories with some of Doc's coworkers. All the while he was practically clinging to him in an attempt to keep him grounded.

Thankfully, glasses of champagne were being passed out in preparation for his boss giving a toast to celebrate the successful breakthrough in the branch. Doc hoped a bit of alcohol would help him so when one of the caterers got to him, he eagerly accepted a glass for himself and Bdubs.

But when he handed the second glass over, concern slipped into his mind as Bdubs stared into the drink with a slight front. "I'm- I'm not going to drink tonight. Even if it's just champagne," he quietly decided without looking up at him.

"Okay, whatever you want to do," he murmured, gently kissing his head. He wanted to ask if there was something wrong or if he was simply overthinking things, but there was clinking against glass.

Truthfully, he didn't listen to the toast at all.

Truthfully, the only reason Doc was even there at the party was his fear that later down the line when the company was looking for people to let go, they'd pick him for not being social enough.

He gave Bdubs a light side hug. In turn, his head hit his arm and they stayed there together. When the small speech ended, the hybrid downed his whole glass, and he doubted anyone else would.

"Is it rude if I don't drink?" Bdubs whispered, finally looking at him.

Smiling, he let go of him for a moment to take his glass and drink half of it before handing it back. "There, you drank some."

His husband chuckled and shook his head.

-

Other people were dancing, but Bdubs could tell Doc wasn't in the right headspace to join in. Although the drinks helped him flow into conversations better, Bdubs could still practically feel his heightened anxiety.

Hoping it would help calm him, he had linked their arms and was rubbing his bicep as subtly as he could. He was waiting for the inevitable go-ahead for them to leave, seeing as Bdubs hadn't felt so stupid in a long time. It was bound to occur with him being surrounded by such bright minds, but it didn't make it any more bearable. All jokes flew right over his head, the small talk difficult to keep up with.

When the three people talking with Doc finally dispersed, he felt his ability to breathe return. "How're you holding up?" He quietly asked, squeezing his arm.

"I'm okay," Doc assured him. "Though, maybe I should get something more to drink." The hybrid laughed, but Bdubs didn't.

Letting go of his arm, he squeezed his hand. "No, I don't think you need to. Let's just uh- well, who else do you want to talk to?"

His husband pursed his lips. "I don't know. I think I might want to go home soon, but is it too early?" Finally, he cracked a smile.

"Not at all. As I said before, they'll understand. And if not, use me as your excuse. Tell them I was feeling sick or something."

Shaking his head with a smile, Doc pulled out his phone. "Alright, alright. I'll get us a ride home."

-

As they stood outside in the brisk weather, waiting for the car, Doc took a deep breath before looking at his husband. "Is everything okay?" He blurted out.

"Hm? What? Y-Yeah, why?"

He tapped his fingers. "I- well- I couldn't stop thinking about how you looked with the champagne glass and- and ever since you've seemed... off. Something's wrong and I want you to know I'm here, and I'll always be here." He laced their fingers together and with a sigh, Bdubs leaned against him.

"I didn't mean to make you worry so much, I'm sorry." Before Doc could insist he didn't need to apologize, he continued. "It's just- it's February, y'know? And I- I couldn't bring myself to drink, even such a small amount."

Doc's frown deepened, his brows creasing. "What do you mean?"

"Well, do you remember the first time we had a really big fight? It sprouted from me getting drunk and- and sure we had some petty arguments before that, but nothing so... serious. It really shook me and- and y'know." His voice grew quieter the more he spoke until he was a little louder than a whisper.

"Oh Bdubs," he sighed, pulling him into a proper hug. "That fight, that wasn't your fault, it was mine. And we're more than okay now. I'm going to keep my promise; we're never going to have such a serious fight again."

When his husband tightened his hold and pressed his face to his collarbone, he gripped his clothes. "Sorry for bringing down the mood," he mumbled.

"No, you didn't, honest," he insisted with a laugh. They slowly - and albeit reluctantly - separated and continued to watch for the car. He kept a protective arm wrapped around his shoulders. And when their ride did show and they climbed in the back, he kept him close; Bdubs resting against him.

They shared soft smiles as his husband played with his hand, twisting the ring on his finger. "Thank you for coming to this party with me," he spoke quietly as if raising his voice too loud would ruin the peaceful atmosphere.

"Of course! I was more than happy to," he assured him. "But, I can't wait to get home."

"Me too," he chuckled as he squeezed his hand. 

-

I thought it'd be funny if I ended the chapter with a car crash, but I held back. You're welcome!