A Better Place to Host a Party

Bdubs gently pushed Doc's chest so he sat back on the couch again. "Oh I don't think so," he laughed. "You stay right there."

"Bee, please, I can help!" Doc whined.

He kissed his forehead. "I don't care if you're perfectly healthy. You are going to relax. Plus, we have people coming over and you need to save energy for that."

Since the Christmas party didn't exactly go as planned, Doc insisted they hold one for New Years instead. Ever since he got discharged from the hospital on the 28th, Bdubs had refused to let him do anything. He was far too nervous in case something went wrong.

Doc grabbed his shirt and pulled him forward. He had to quickly brace himself on the couch, his arms above the hybrid's shoulders. He was then pulled a little closer so Doc could kiss him. "I am okay," he insisted. "Now please, let me help."

He sighed. "Alright, you win," he murmured, kissing him once more before pulling away so his roommate could stand up. Bdubs still wasn't all too pleased with the idea of Doc doing anything but resting, but what could he do?

"Great! Where do we start?"

-

Bdubs tried humming along to the music to distract himself. He didn't want to cling to Doc all night but at the same time, it was hard not to want to. It occurred to him he wasn't sure if he'd ever get over his worries for him. There wasn't a large group of people, at least in his mind, but Bdubs wasn't sure if it was too much for Doc.

Not to mention they had invited Scar.

He was determined to go into the new year with positivity, and he wanted to acknowledge how he had reconnected with an old friend. Even though Doc assured him inviting Scar wasn't a big deal, for some reason he felt... guilty.

"Hey, can we talk for a minute?" Bdubs looked over to find Grian a little concerned.

"Hm? Yeah, of course! Is everything okay?" He asked as they headed to the balcony. It had started to snow, but it had yet to accumulate on the balcony itself.

Grian leaned on the railing. "What's wrong?"

"What? Nothing's wrong," he awkwardly laughed, leaning as well.

"Bdubs I don't want you starting the new year so worried. Now, what's up?" He softly urged.

Sighing, he dropped his head. "Doc is fine now, he's healed, he's good but, now I'm just... terrified he's going to get hurt again," he whispered. "And at the same time, I feel... guilty."

"Why do you feel guilty?" Grian reached over to give his forearm a light squeeze.

"Scar is here and he and Doc don't exactly get along great, but he said it was fine to invite him but I dunno, I feel guilty having someone over that Doc doesn't like," he explained, lifting his head to look at his friend.

"Well, do you still have feelings for Scar?"

He shook his head. "No," he firmly answered. It had been such a long time since he did, not to mention how much he genuinely loved Doc.

"Then you're good! Listen, if you stop talking to everyone that Doc doesn't entirely like, then it's going to be high school all over again. You are both different people with your own opinions and no one said you both have to share the same friend pool. Are you close with Ren?" Grian pointed out, standing up straight.

"I mean, not really. He's nice but we don't talk often," he slowly admitted with a shrug.

Grian ruffled his hair. "Do you get it yet?"

Bdubs nodded, the feeling in his gut washing away. While Grian returned to the party, he decided to stay outside for the moment despite the cold. He took in a deep breath, inhaling the smell of snow and champagne, courtesy of the drinks inside.

The door slid open and he looked over his shoulder to find Scar stepping out. "Hey, it's midnight in almost ten minutes, what're you doing out here?" He playfully asked, joining him at the railing.

"Just wanted some fresh air is all," he shrugged. "How are you?"

"I'm good!" He reached a hand out, letting snowflakes drop into his hand only to melt. "It's been a crazy year, huh?"

"You could say that," he laughed.

An arm wrapped around him as Scar lightly squeezed him. "I hope this next year is better for you," he whispered.

Bdubs smiled. "Thank you," he murmured.

-

As time ticked down, Doc couldn't help but wonder where Bdubs had gone. He knew fully well his boyfriend had been keeping a worried eye on him for most of the night, but he hadn't minded. It was sweet, although he wished he wouldn't worry so much.

"So, what're your new year's resolutions?" Ren asked.

He hummed. "To find a better balance between work and relaxation. You know I'm not too big on resolutions but that is something I want to work on," he explained, eyes still traveling around his apartment.

Doc paused when his gaze landed on the door to the balcony, his chest tightening in jealousy.

Bdubs was laughing with Scar, who had an arm wrapped around him.

Although he trusted Bdubs, he most certainly still didn't trust Scar. It's fine, he assured himself. Bdubs loves me. He does. Not Scar.

"Oh hey, happy five minutes to midnight!" Ren pointed out.

"I'm gonna find Bdubs," he quickly explained, walking towards the balcony.

He slid open the door and the two looked back at him. His heart fluttered at how Bdubs' eyes lit up, but he wasn't so happy about Scar not moving his arms.

"Five minutes left," he announced with a small smile.

"Ooh, we should head back inside then!" Bdubs realized, ducking under Scar's arm and hurrying over to him.

Any worries he had easily disappeared when Bdubs squeezed his hand and gave a bright smile. "You comin'?" He asked Scar, looking up at him.

"Yup."

-

Back inside, Bdubs picked up two glasses of champagne and handed one to Doc. "I love you," he whispered when they sat down on the couch. Just the day prior they had found a far more comfortable couch than the futon that had a foldable bed under the cushions. They had turned on a news channel that was showcasing the annual New Year's event happening in the center of the city. All their friends were slowly gathering in the living room to watch the anticipated lights show.

"I love you too," Doc murmured, pressing his nose to his temple.

Bdubs laughed as he watched Tugger slink around the room, climbing over laps of people sitting on the ground and sniffing plates of food until he settled beside Pearl.

As the countdown began, Bdubs wondered what the new year was going to bring. He had a few ideas of his own, but there was so much unplanned that it was exciting. Fingers laced with Doc's and he squeezed his hand. The upcoming year was going to be better. He was determined to make it so.

When the clock struck twelve, and the first firework exploded in the air, he turned to Doc and met his lips.

"Happy New Year," he whispered, kissing him again.

"Happy New Year Bdubs." Doc kissed him once more, squeezing his hand back.