A Long Day

Bdubs shifted in the café chair outside, fiddling with the straw to his iced tea. His old high school classmate sat patiently across from him, a mocha in his hands. "I'm really sorry," he finally apologized. "I don't want to give you the wrong impression, but I didn't mean anything I said about you last night. Although I was drunk it doesn't excuse my actions."

The two sat in silence after that, until Scar burst out laughing. "You rehearsed that, didn't you?" he asked, calming down.

He looked away, embarrassed. "M-Maybe," he muttered.

"Well, rest assured I accept your apology. And I get it, we all say stupid things when we drink." His smile allowed Bdubs to relax, and he leaned back in his seat.

"I still feel bad for kissing you," he muttered, despite still being convinced he didn't do it. But he wasn't going to say that to Scar.

The taller chuckled. "Yeah I'll admit that was a little weird, but it's okay!" He glanced to the street and smiled. "I think I also owe you an apology. I was a shit boyfriend in high school. Hell, I was a shit person in general. But I'm glad you found someone better."

Bdubs pursed his lips. The brunette across from him really did seem different, and that made him happy. But he couldn't help but think about what Doc said earlier that morning. "He thinks I'm still in love with you," he blurted out. Slowly looking back at him, Scar raised an eyebrow.

"And do you?"

Turning red from embarrassment, he shook his head. "No, I don't. Sorry."

"No need to say sorry- it's just the truth, right?" he shrugged, taking a sip of his mocha.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Bdubs slumped against his chair. "Yes! It is the truth! But for some reason, Doc doesn't believe me!" He covered his face with his hands and just groaned.

Ever so carefully, Scar leaned over and pulled one of his hands off his face. "Hey, it's going to be okay. I'm sure he will believe you. And, I know I'm the last person who you'd want to hear this from, and this isn't me assuming, but; just... remember you deserve the best, and please be mindful of possible red flags." He let go of his hands and sat back in his chair.

With both of his hands now resting on the table, the shorter cracked a smile. "Like you?" he joked.

The other visibly cringed and scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah.... I still feel terrible about how I behaved. I'm truly sorry again for how I treated you."

He checked the time before looking up and smiling. "Thank you, Scar."

After placing down cash for his drink, he said goodbye and walked across the street to head to Keralis'.

-

Lifting his cup to his mouth, Scar narrowed his eyes as he watched Bdubs walk away. "Doc doesn't deserve you. If I wanted I could get you running back to me," he muttered before downing his mocha.

-

"So how are you feeling?" Keralis gently asked as the two sat on his couch.

"My headache is gone, so I'm good now." He shrugged and gave a small smile. His friend creased his eyebrows and lightly squeezed his knee.

"Bubbles."

His smile faltered and he looked down at his lap. "I don't like fighting with Doc," he mumbled. "Why can't he just believe me?" His friend hugged him and squeezed his shoulders.