A White Christmas

"Here you are," Bdubs murmured, handing over a mug of hot cocoa to his husband who was sitting on the couch. After kissing his forehead, he sat down beside him with his drink.

As he shuffled closer to snuggle against Doc's arm, his head on his shoulder, his husband hummed. "It's a Christmas miracle we haven't lost power yet."

"Don't jinx it!" He light-heartedly scolded.

The pair had woken up Christmas morning to find a blizzard awaiting them. Naturally, they had no choice but to stay home for the day, or however long the snowstorm was set to last. So after breakfast, the first order of business was to relax on the couch with hot cocoa and a movie.

A kiss was pressed into his hair. "I know you always look forward to spending Christmas with everyone, but maybe once this all clears up we can still do something," Doc suggested as he wrapped an arm around his waist.

"Maybe, but honestly it's okay," he insisted. Setting down his mug, he replaced it with the tv remote and started up the holiday movie. "I don't mind at all spending our first Christmas married being just the two of us. Besides, all that matters to me is that we're safe." It was inevitable that Bdubs thought of their last Christmas which they spent in the hospital.

A cold, bionic hand touched his cheek, guiding him to look up at Doc. "We are. I am safe. Right here with you."

His smile spread wider as he kissed him before returning to leaning against him as the logos and opening credits finished. Much like every day since the wedding, Bdubs found himself taking a moment to stare at his ring. He knew he was sucked deep into the honeymoon phase of his marriage without actually having a honeymoon yet, but so what? He was enjoying himself.

Unfortunately, his enjoyment couldn't even last through the whole movie as not even forty minutes in, the TV suddenly shut off.

They lost power.

He flinched at the abrupt darkness. It was late morning but due to the heavy clouds outside, it might as well have been early evening. "It's okay," Doc assured him, setting down his mug in favor of tightly holding him.

Bdubs frowned. "I hate this."

"I know, but you don't need to be scared. I won't-"

"I hate that I get scared of the dark," he interrupted. "I hate that I have a fear of thunderstorms. I wish I could just- get over it. How does anyone take me seriously, honestly?"

Doc gently rubbed his arm, pressing his lips into his hair and holding the position for a few moments. "Most people have a fear of something. Some may be more irrational than others, but that doesn't invalidate them. You're allowed to be scared, that doesn't make you any less mature, any less of a man," he gently reminded him.

"Yeah you're right, I know you are, but it's still frustrating," Bdubs huffed.

"Would it make you feel better if we started opening gifts?" Doc suggested though it didn't go unnoticed how he was partially teasing him.

Although he scoffed, he sat up. "Well, I don't see the harm in starting now." Taking the blanket that was hanging over the couch, he got up and wrapped it around himself. Doc lightly laughed, following him over to the tree where they sat down. "Here; open this first," he practically demanded as he handed over a small wrapped box.

-

The moment Doc unwrapped his gift, he realized it was about to become a competition of who could make the other more emotional.

Inside the box was his promise ring on a silver chain. "So that's what you did with them," he whispered.

A few weeks before the wedding, he woke up to find his promise ring gone. He freaked out all morning, terrified he lost it but then Bdubs assured him that he had taken it. Yet he never elaborated further.

"I have mine hiding in the room," Bdubs explained. "Maybe you would've liked to keep it as a ring, but I liked this idea."

"No, this is perfect," he softly agreed. Scooching closer, Bdubs helped him clip it on and adjust it. For a moment he kept his hands on his chest. Doc kissed his forehead before picking out a gift for him to open.

He warned him to be careful, so his husband delicately tore at the wrapping paper. However, once he got a peek at the contents, he stopped and leaned his head back. "No. Doc, stop it," he whined.

In response, he only laughed. "What do you mean?" He innocently asked. "What is it?"

"I hate you," Bdubs muttered as he finished opening it.

Protected by a dark oak frame were their bouquets. The golden flowers had been pressed to be safely preserved. "Did it all myself," he boasted.

"I actually hate you. This is stupidly sweet and I can't wait to hang it up." Doc laughed at his remarks and already wanted him to open another gift. Yet Bdubs insisted it was his turn.

His next gift was a blanket covered in little goats. Some were sitting, others standing, fighting, laying down, napping, eating, everything. Taking it out of the packaging that kept it folded, he shook it once and wrapped it around himself. "Oh, that's soft! Thank you!"

Suddenly he caught a glimpse of light from outside. He pointed it out to Bdubs, and they both watched as sunlight peeked through the clouds, providing them with some light. "I think it stopped snowing too!" Bdubs excitedly realized.

-

After opening a few more gifts, Doc found Tugger and brought him over to the tree so they could give him presents too.

A new bed, toys, and a cardboard house, which seemed to be his favorite. However, once he was done sniffing and searching the house, Tugger darted out to play with some discarded wrapping paper. Bdubs laughed, finding himself yet again being reminded how happy he was to agree to adopt him.

Doc got up for a moment to grab his phone to start playing music from the new speaker Bdubs gave him. Soon enough, the apartment was filled with festive tunes.

When his husband reappeared in the living room, he ditched the blanket as he stood up to greet him. Bdubs took his hands as they danced around. Their foreheads met and his eyes closed. "I just realized," Doc quietly began. "Our food in the fridge is going to go bad."

He laughed. "Yeah, it is, isn't it?" However, neither moved away from the other. He was too happy rhythmically moving around, with the hand on his lower back and feeling the warmth from Doc. Bdubs leaned against his chest, humming as he watched Tugger weave around them, curiously watching everything they did.

As the song faded, the hybrid peppered his face with kisses before letting go and moving toward the kitchen. He followed close behind, not wanting to let him do all the work.

"Hey, maybe we can fire up some movies on my laptop," Doc suggested as he opened the fridge.

"Ooh like one of the new ones you got me? Sounds fun!"

-

Very short because of the busy month I've had :)