Chapter 25: You Can't Keep A Good Dog Down

Pretty as a Speckled Pup

"Maman?" Madeleine spun her ring as she sat beside Florence.

Florence's blonde hair had turned to a wiry grey that shimmered under the afternoon sun.

"Oui, ma belle?" Florence kept her eyes closed, allowing the sun to blanket her.

"How well did we listen? When you first tried to use your ring?" She gnawed at her cheek as she fiddled with the ring.

"Are your daughters not listening to you?" Florence vividly remembered the terror that toddlers wreak.

"Non! Well.. Some of the time they do. Other times, I've nearly run my finger raw and they still won't calm down!"

Florence peeked towards Madeleine, noting the heavy bags under her eyes. "It's not quite that simple. Do you remember when we got a dog?"

Florence brought Fang home when they were five. He was scarred and angry; he constantly nipped at the girls. It wasn't until a figure had attacked their house that they bonded. The girls, as foolish as they could be, had shown Fang nothing but kindness. When their safety was threatened, he was willing to lay down his life for them. It may have been the fear of losing them, or realising how fragile the small humans truly were, that convinced Fang to play the role of the twins' guardian. Even if that duty came with floral crowns.

"That old lug. Of course. Did we not listen? I thought we were really good about feeding him and keeping our distance when he was upset."

"Oh, you girls were excellent by then. But Fang had seen darkness, that's why he fit into our family so well. It took him time to attach to us. I have never met a mutt riddled with such trust issues." She chuckled at the way he would eye her as he ate his food bit by bit.

"Yes, but, are you saying my daughter's are dogs?" Madeleine raised her eyebrow towards her lazed mother.

"Hah!" Florence bolted up in amusement. "Somedays, I would have to agree! However, that is not what I am implying. The creatures within the ring don't know you yet. Give them time, and they will learn to appreciate you."

Madeleine's face scrunched as she pulled the ring to her face. "What, do I like, give it treats or something? A warm bath?"

Chuckling, Florence lowered back against the blanket. "No, dear child. It is simply that you use them. Although you might have a point, perhaps a special cleaning every now and again wouldn't hurt."

"Bonjour mon petit." Madeleine whispered to the ring. "I swear, I will keep you safe."

"Just remember that the ring directs your children to behave. The more the rings know you, the stronger your link will be. The same applies for the children. As their soul becomes familiar with the commands, they will start listening more and more, to nearly any command you set forth." Madeleine understood the unspoken warning within her mothers words; do not overexert the influence of the rings.

"How long did we resist it?" Madeleine laid beside Florence, engrossed in her stories.

"It depends on the request, my love. You're less likely to get resistance in telling a child to sit down than you are to get them to write a symphony."

"Oh, but a symphony would be a beautiful feat." Madeline mused.

Shaking her head in enjoyment, Florence once again allowed the sun to engulf her.

Every Dog Has Their Day

Untacking Viperion from the 'extended time only' section, Felix placed his image beside Chat.