Chapter 12: A Fiend, A Fire, A Heaven, A Hell

Love is a fiend, a fire, a heaven, a hell. 

Where pleasure, pain, and sad repentance dwell. 

-Richard Barnfield

Luka tried to shake off his state of confusion as Chloe stormed off. He hadn't meant to offend her, but it seemed as though he had done something terribly wrong. Reeling, he decided to go for another drink. It wasn't until he had received his drink that he noticed Marinette was leaning against the bar beside him, however, she didn't seem to notice him either. She was too focused on the model continually trying to lead Adrien around.

"You should have said something to him earlier." Luka turned to Marinette.

"He couldn't handle me." She weakly chortled.

"He looks like a puppy learning to walk." The pair watched Adrien as he dopily accepted being leashed around the room.

"Seriously. He's the only person in this house who actually has a room, yet he's still choosing not to use it." Marinette said in a defeated tone; hurt that she lost a competition by missing the deadline.

Luka, however, was being propelled by anger as he watched the scene. Once her hands had gripped his sides, the woman pulled Adrien in for a kiss. The level of intoxication had taken away Adrien's naturally astute balance, causing him to fall to the floor as he avoided her lips.

"Oh bro!" Nino's voice narrated from behind Luka. Nino thought that it had been a stumble; Luka prayed that it was exactly as it appeared - a dodge.

The model appeared to laugh uncomfortably as she offered a hand up to Adrien. Willingly accepting it, he made it back to his feet. She went to resume her place, but this time Adrien halted her hands.

"What is he doing?" Nino half-heartedly laughed thinking he was watching his friend accidentally cock-blocking himself.

Clearly irritated, the model's lips moved quickly, seemingly chastising him. That's when Adrien's flip switched, and finally, Luka began to understand the warning from Chloe. Adrien's drink smashed on the wall beside him, his piercing "Get the fuck out!" cutting through the music.

"Oh shit." Nino finally caught on that something wasn't right and began to run to the scene.

The model was continuously attempting to scream at Adrien as security lifted her off the floor. Adrien kicked over a garbage can as he stomped to the nearest door; his father's office. The resonating slam matched up with the cut of the music.

Chloe stood at the DJ booth with a stoic face. Tilting her head towards security, they turned on the lights and began to usher people out.

Nino was the first person to get to the door that Adrien sought salvation behind. Running over, Luka watched as a chair flew towards the door. Nino pulled back the handle as fast as he could, resulting in the chair smashing against the inside of the door.

"I've never seen him like this," Nino shakily told Luka.

"Go with Alya, I'll make sure he's okay." Luka turned to Alya, who was frozen in a dumbstruck position at the bar.

"Lemme know if you need anything." Nino patted Luka's shoulder as he walked past.

Luka leaned on the door, listening to the destruction of the room. Between the hammering smashes, an occasional scream or whimper would escape Adrien. Once the crashing had subsided for almost a minute, Luka delicately opened the door.

Dust floated in the room from the destroyed furniture. Most of the books had been thrown off the shelves. Adrien sat against the wall beside his mother's painting with his face in his hands. Luka's steps crunched along the debris, alerting Adrien of his presence.