Chapter 16: A New Normal

Conventional Conversations

Alya and Rena opened a fresh box of macaroons as they continued to study their investigative board. Adrien had provided all the details he could dig up on the Graham De Vanily and Agreste properties. They had searched anywhere Felix might have gone to escape.

"This is the last one we have left, but I don't even feel like it's worth going to." Marinette pointed to the location in Berlin.

"As much as I am for being thorough, I really doubt that Felix could Akumatize someone all the way from Germany." Alya agreed.

"Maybe it would explain how peculiarly easy the Akuma's are to defeat?" Marinette suggested.

"Mmm... maybe, but I seriously doubt that. They are drawn to strong emotions, and that's way too far without being pulled to anyone. We would have seen at least one Baddie along the route."

Marinette flopped backwards onto her bed. Adrien had been gathering them information for months, and they still found nothing but dead ends. Every property hadn't been touched since the last recorded family visit. "I just don't know what to do anymore!"

"Just be patient, the Akumas aren't bad enough to worry about, and Adrien is still constantly supplying us with more information. He's even going through his phone records to find every message between him and Felix. - Oh! - And Adrien finally got the phone carrier to grant him access to Gabriel's phone records and iCloud, so hopefully we'll find something there." Alya constantly pushed to the optimistic side, but she agreed that their mission was seemingly unattainable. Each flash of hope they gained brought greater failure.

"At least Chat came around on the idea." Marinette sat back up, feeling a bit of warmth spread to her cheeks.

"You're welcome." Alya sang in response.

"He's been so amazing with finding the little details we missed, I can't believe it."

"Mmm-hmm," She purposefully shortened her response. It was better for Marinette to fill in her own answers as to why Chat carried a unique depth of understanding to Adrien's documents.

"He's just so smart... and his new suit!" Marinette stopped herself from drooling.

"Girl I know! He is looking good! He got fit ." It had become a far too common discussion within some of the female Miraculous holders. Over the past months, Chat had grown at least two inches, his jawline hardened, and his suit was lined with gold.

"When he came back from the first tour of the Agreste properties, I thought he was a copy-chat!" She giggled at how Chat would appreciate her pun. "It wasn't until the 'M'Lady' and his derpiness started spilling out that I realised he was our Kitten."

The reaction was shared by the rest of the team. His frame was still lean, but he had gained muscle throughout, his arms and abdomen more defined than ever. The previously muted suit lines around his shoulder and across his chest now reached further, and reflected a dark gold. His boots had morphed to a pair aligning more with combat boots, which came with the extra ability to walk against gravity. Even his leather tailed belt was now studded.

"My favourite thing," Alya sat close to Marinette as she began to engulf herself in the conversation, "is when he is walking up all dark and brooding." She made a serious face as she shifted her head from side to side to imitate movement. "And then he just starts spinning his tail!"

Marinette copied Alya's 'brooding face'. She mimicked a low voice as she impersonated chat. "Hello, I am Chat Noir," then her tone switched to a high pitch, "and I'm feline great today!"

As Alya wiped her tears of laughter, Marinette became pensive. "Tikki?" Marinette asked. "The suits are a reflection of what we really want inside, right?"