Thirteen

Genre: Teen Fiction

She was never prepared of anything once she turns thirteen. Eisha's neighbour Mr. Collins used to tell her stories when he was a teen. It involves gambling, stealing money, and more running away from home. She never wanted these things; she didn't want to turn thirteen.

But, you cannot escape age. You don't stop aging at twelve and remain young forever- that's what her grandfather always always say. She was afraid of the number thirteen. Yes, she always was. And yet, she turned thirteen that day and everything starts tumbling down the breakable road like how she did.

It was her birthday, 12th of June, Philippine's Independence Day. She felt lucky being born at the date, but today, she wasn't. She stood up feeling groggy as usual. She stayed up late at night typing all of her assignments and requirements. She was thankful her birthday was a holiday. She just wanted a simple birthday- her family sat on their little dining room and discuss about her future.

Eisha stopped midway when she heard a slap. She didn't want to open the door. It was her birthday, and it was too early for these things. Her five siblings can be heard outside playing hide and seek at seven in the morning.

"Please, not this time." She mumbles, fiddling with her doorknob. A tear escapes making its way to her lips, letting her taste its oddness. Her mind was tired, her body aches and she did not ask for a ruined birthday.

Another slap and she heard a loud banging from the living room. "Nardo, you haven't paid our water and electricity bill! I don't have money left when you already pick-pocketed me last night!" It was her Australian mother with her father. She hiccupped. Does it mean she can't celebrate this day?

"Araw-araw ko kayong pinapakain ng mga anak mo pero hindi ka man lang marunong magpasalamat?Tigilan mo ako, Ida." Itwas her Filipino dad with his heavy visaya accent. Her parents never taught her the Filipino language because his Dad didn't want to but she learned it anyway from her friends at school.

She opened the door and saw her Dad storming out of the room leaving her Mama sobbing in the middle of the living room. She was tired of these scenarios. She was the eldest of the six and she needs to take care of them, even her mom. She hugged her from behind and rested her chin on her shoulder, whispering "Mama, it's okay now. He already left." But, clearly everything was not okay. Maybe he left, but the pain he caused stayed.

Her father is a secondary school principal and her Mama is a teacher in another school. Her dad always comes home late when her Mama was not around. It was hard for her not to conclude or predict anything. Eisha did not want to be one of those broken family. She did not wish to be left behind- it was her greatest fear. Silly as it sounds, but it was true.

Yet when spring came, and she sprouted and bloomed beautifully like a wild flower, rain came and washed her away leaving her alone in the dim lit jungle.

It was autumn, when she started to fall like the reddish leaves on the park. She was neither happy nor lonely on that month of September. She found out about a site named Wattpad. She loved it, and when she created an account, she found herself subconsciously impersonating a non-existent boy she named Johann Salcedo. She was surprisingly good for a first timer like her at impersonation.

She fooled people. She made girls fall for her. She broke their hearts. She left all these girls behind. Eisha knew she was straight, and not a lesbian nor a homosexual teenager. And yet, when a Michaela Santos chatted Eisha that night, she already forgot what she is. She felt blind, completely deaf and numb on everything. She giggles like a four year old kid when a message pops in her notifications. It was stupid fooling her, fooling everyone but she was benumbed by Michaela that she did not know what to do anymore.