Chapter 139: Money Monger

[Chongshan House]

Chu Yunxiong sat in the office and watched the TV as he casually drank his tea and relaxed. He had a smile on his face. Anyone that didn’t know him would assume he was just an average middle-aged man. Yet, to those that do, they would know him as an ambitious businessman that stood at the very top the ladder with his unreachable authority and social status.

Another man was watching the TV in his room. The man was well dressed and wore gold-trim glasses; this was the famous lawyer Ge Zhongtian.

The television was currently broadcasting Jiangcheng News.

Aside from biased reports by journalists that held a grudged against the Luo Workshop, thanks to Chen Jianbo., there were also some neutral reporters. These neutral journalists’ reports ended up on the news of the Jiangcheng channel.

Did the Luo Workshop threaten and blackmailed Chen Jianbo to fake evidence, or was there indeed another story behind this?

Chu Yunxiong shook his head and took a sip of tea as he looked at the large headline beneath the screen and said: “Fang Changlei gave Xiao Luo another serious problem to solve.”

Ge Zhongtian nodded: “The head of the legal department of the Luo’s Workshop is no match for Bo Heyu. Even I couldn’t say with confidence that I would be able to win a legal argument with him without having enough time to prepare ahead of time. That the Luo workshop will lose the first trial is expected, but new questions have arisen as a result. These could cast doubts over the counter-charges bought against Luo’s Workshop. It is a question of motives.”

1Ge Zhongtian nodded: “The head of the legal department of the Luo’s Workshop is no match for Bo Heyu. Even I couldn’t say with confidence that I would be able to win a legal argument with him, without having enough time to prepare ahead my case. That the Luo workshop will lose the first trial is expected, but new questions have arisen as a result of this trial. These could cast doubts over the counter-charges bought against Luo’s Workshop. It is a question of motives.”

“The first question is regarding the group of reporters. A majority of them were bent on ruining the Luo Workshop’s reputation. This was even if it meant raising unrest in public. In these times where social media plays such an essential role in business and everyday life, the Luo’s Workshop would suffer tremendous losses both in trust deficit and sales if they don’t manage the situation accordingly. The actions of the reporters appear to be instigated. So who put them up to it?

Next, Fang Changlei could not merely sit and watch his business go down. Xiao Luo took away dozens of his old Taste Buds’ customers. It is clear he held a grudge against the young man for this, so there is a motive to get his revenge. That spy he planted in the Luo Workshop will likely be on the move very soon.

Finally, if the Luo Workshop doesn’t provide more tangible evidence and witness accounts during the second trial in five days, they will lose the lawsuit. They will then have to carry the crimes of threatening and blackmailing the media, which will further agitate the higher-ups of the court and stain the Luo Workshop’s reputation to a destructive end. To whose advantage is this?”

“What do you think Xiao Luo will do?” Chu Yunxiaong asked with a grin.

“This is a game he’s doomed to lose. The 50 to 60 reporters gathered up at the Luo Workshop’s entrance is already hard to deal with, without even considering the lawsuit against Chen Jianbo in court. He cannot resort to violence, and the more he explains, the deeper the hole he’ll be digging for himself. And if he makes even the slightest mistake in his witness accounts or demonstrates a falsity in any of these pieces of evidence, it will be magnified by the media. This is something that reporters are good at; it is a known fact that they have a hand in influencing public opinion, so every sentence and every word the Luo Workshop says to them will have to be completely sanitized with no loopholes. Otherwise, the Luo Workshop will be walking into their graves.”