Chapter 125: Persist? How?

Although the park was deserted, it was the perfect place for Xiao Luo and Sun Yu to eat roasted sweet potatoes.

The potatoes were crusty on the outside and tender on the inside. They tasted quite delicious. In front of Xiao Luo, Sun Yu was usually more mindful of her appearance—for instance, her posture and smile. However, she didn’t dare exaggerate her behavior too much. So when she couldn’t resist the temptation of the roasted sweet potato any longer, she ripped off the skin and gobbled up the entire thing. Meanwhile, the one in Xiao Luo’s hand wasn’t even half-eaten.

She smiled at Xiao Luo embarrassedly and asked, “Do I look really awful?”

Xiao Luo shook his head. In fact, Sun Yu’s directness was what was he found most attractive about her. He said, “Well, in the first place, you don’t have to worry so much about your looks when you’re eating roasted sweet potatoes. Just like when I was a kid, and I used to wolf them down.”

Sun Yu’s eyes lit up. “You ate roasted sweet potatoes when you were a kid too?”

“Everybody who comes from a village should,” Xiao Luo replied with a light smile.

Sun Yu nodded and asked curiously, “Xiao Luo, how did you roast the sweet potatoes when you were young? Did you build a stove with stones and bake them like we just did now?”

“Nope. I usually just placed the sweet potatoes underneath the stove when I was helping the adults in the kitchen. Without them knowing, of course.”

“Why couldn’t you let them know?”

“My family thinks that sweet potatoes are no good after they’ve been roasted. They think that they become more ‘heaty,’ so to speak, and harmful to our bodies. So, the adults banned us from eating them. There were many times when my sweet potatoes just straight-up burned inside the fire. I couldn’t get them out in time with the adults watching, so all the trouble I’d gone through would be for nothing,” Xiao Luo recalled when he was little and found it really amusing.

Sun Yu smiled crisply and said, “It looks like you wasted quite a few sweet potatoes when you were young.”

Xiao Luo shook his head and said, “I didn’t waste them, actually. I was young and dumb, but I washed those burned sweet potatoes and gobbled them up with their smoky taste.”

“Huh? Didn’t your mouth turn black after that?”

“I didn’t care much at the time.”

“Well, that’s true. Everybody thinks that roasting sweet potatoes is tasty and fun when they are young. Nobody ever cares about whether it will make them ‘heaty.'”

The two exchanged amusing stories from their childhood while they savored the hot, scrumptious sweet potatoes. Unknown to them, a lot of time went by.

When he dropped Sun Yu back at the hospital entrance, it was already 4 o’clock in the morning. Just as they were about to part, a touch of lingering attachment was noticeable in Sun Yu’s eyes. It was only when Xiao Luo’s car disappeared from her field of view that she turned around and went back into the hospital.

Xiao Luo’s second encounter with Sun Yu deepened his fondness for her a great deal.

Sure enough, he didn’t know whether Sun Yu was the one for him, but he certainly hoped so. Such a straightforward girl was scarce nowadays. She’d definitely be easy to get along with, and she seemed a rather suitable candidate to spend the rest of his days with.

******

Fresh air came in through the window, accompanied by a ray of golden light. Dawn had arrived.