THIRTY-FIVE

"I would still like to take you on that date." Lando says as we're enjoying our lunch in the privacy of my hotel room.

We had ordered roomservice, as I have to take painkillers with my meals, and the pain was starting to get more prominent again. Luckily for me, it didn't take too long at the hospital, courtesy of Ava pulling some strings.

"I would still like that." I admit to Lando, while I respond to the knock on the door. Someone from the hotel staff delivering our sandwiches. I thank the employee, as he sets the plates on the table.

"But my original plan isn't really possible anymore." He says, as we both dive into our lunch.

"Why?" I ask him, hoping he'll be telling me what he originally planned.

"Because it involves using both your hands."

"You're not going to tell me what you had planned?"

"Fine, I'll tell you anyway. But only because I know you won't shut up about it otherwise." He says with a small chuckle. "Remember how you always said that you wanted to know how I prepare for a race and such?" I nod at him, I did ask often how he would prepare for a race without being on the track. "I was going to take you to MTC and have you go in the simulator."

My heart warms at the thought, he was really all in when it comes to taking it slow. He was seriously going to show me what his life is like. "That is so sweet, Lan. I would've loved that."

A small smile appears on his face as he takes my words in. "I'm happy you would've liked it. But I think what we're going to do now might be more fun."

"Is that so?"

"Definitely, but we do have to leave like now. It's about a 2 hour drive." He says helping me put on my shoes and tie my laces.

The drive to our mystery destination is filled with the two of us singing along to music. Switching it off with a bit of small talk. The air light as we drive down the road. Even if I've been to England a lot of times these roads are very unknown to me. However Lando does seem very comfortable driving this route, and once I start paying attention to the signs along the road it all clicks.

"Are we going to Silverstone?" I ask, and it does make sense. He had planned a racing oriented date anyway, but I hadn't expected to be going to one of the most well known circuits in the country today.

"We are." Lando confirms taking the exit and following the different signs to his home circuit.

"For what?"

"I've managed to get us into an hot lap. I'll be driving, but I thought it's about time we do this again. It was my plan at first, but then I thought you'd mutch rather experience the sim. But now this seemed like the logical option." I take his hand over the center console, it's a little awkward with the cast and it hurts a bit, but I hope he realizes how much this all means to me.

We park the car and Lando guides me to the pit lane. He holds my right hand in his as he does so. Our sudden decision to go here, making it so there's barely anyone here now. And I actually feel comfortable doing so. However I do feel a bit handicapped as he's holding the hand that's not in the cast and the hand that is in the cast is hanging in a sling.

We walk into the pit lane and I immediately spot the bright McLaren waiting for us. One of Lando's engineers standing next to it.

"You know what to do." The engineer says, handing us our helmets and the keys to lando.

"I definitely do." Lando says smiling, as he puts the helmet over his head.

I, however, stare down at the heavy helmet. The force I need to put this on is too much for my injured hand. "Uhm Lan?" I ask. He shifts his attention to me. "I might need some help."

He chuckles taking the helmet from my hands and putting it over my head, before clasping it and making sure that it is secured. He then quickly pecks my lips before opening the door for me.

I somehow can't help but feel anxious, as we did out ourselves to one of his engineers and Lando seems to realise something is bugging me. "Don't worry, he'll keep quiet." Lando assures me, speeding out the pit lane.

The feeling of driving over a circuit at high speed is indescribable. At no point was I scared, I did feel adrenaline pumping through my veins. It felt as if I was in a rollercoaster. And even after doing five laps, then waiting a bit, and doing five more. I understand why people would want to do this for their work. How it could be their whole live. It's addictive and once you fly through the corners and see how you remain on the tarmac, it gives you this wonderful feeling.

Lando parks the car in the pit lane, the engineer once again waiting for us. As I get out of the car, he then helps me take of the helmet. He thanks the engineer, handing both of the helmets and keys back. Before guiding me away from the pit lane.

"Thank you Lands." I say giving him a hug. "I really like it. I totally understand why you're so in love with it."

"Glad you liked it, but it's not over yet." He says, pulling me into one of the pit boxes. "This was ours this year." Lando says opening the door. A table is centered in the pit box, candles lit on it as a waiter appears.

"Miss Halstead, Mr Norris. Good evening." He says, welcoming the both of us. "Please take a seat."

Lando pulls out a seat for me to sit on, and I accept the offer. "This is amazing," I whisper as I take in the environment.

"I'm glad you liked it. I tried to keep it as private as possible." He explains and I shoot him a grateful smile.

The dinner was wonderful, not only the food but the company too. We used it to catch up mostly. I explained what my parents were up to, he explained about his and his siblings. Much more to talk about his as his family is much bigger then mine. But I enjoyed hearing him talk about them.

As we're talking about how weird the concert is going to be with a cast, Lando suddenly interrupts me. "Talking about concerts, I know I'm probably too late, but Flo, Cisca and Oliver really want to see it too. Are there any tickets left for this weekend?"

"You really can't leave anything like that up to you." I say with a chuckle. "But I can get them VIP tickets for Sunday, as you and Quadrant are coming on Saturday."

"That sounds amazing." He says.

"Will you be coming too?"

"Is that okay with you?" He asks, hope written on his face. "I mean, it'll draw a lot of attention."

"Lan, your siblings being there without you will draw attention too, as will the Quadrant crew. I think it'll draw more attention if your not there." I tell him sincerely.

"Then yes, I'll come to both." He smiles.

***

"Are you staying?" I ask Lando as he drops me off at my hotel.

"I thought, I'd go home. Unless you need me here. Remember don't draw too much attention." He days and I nod. He's completely right, but after how perfect today has been, even if I had to go to the hospital, I am really craving his company.

"It would be a bit easier getting ready in the morning, but I'll ask Ava." I says as he looks down, a bit of disappointment on his face.

"We're taking it slow. That's what is best for us." He whispers, locking eyes with me, before placing a small kiss on my lips. I then get out of the car and walk in to the hotel lobby.

I won't forget this day for a while.
——————————————

I am so so sorry it took me so long to update. I was not in the right headspace, and had to take care of myself for a bit first. But I'm back and I'm gonna try to get myself into daily uploads again, but please don't hold me to that.

Please vote and comment to share some love as testing is this weekend ❤️