THIRTEEN

I look down at my phone on Sunday morning, Lando already went to the track. Whereas I had decided to stay home a bit longer. Not feeling very eager to draw even more attention to Lando, especially after yesterdays crash. 

No matter what the result, celebrations are on my yacht tonight! Starting right after the race :) - Charles

So I'm guessing we're definitely going out tonight, just as the boys had promised earlier this week when we were flying home. I smile at the message on my screen. Happy that most of the drivers that are Lando's friends, have embraced me as well. 

I check my appearance in the mirror, very satisfied with what I'm wearing. It's a simple flannel with a white tee underneath, together with jean shorts and sneakers. I decide to opt for comfort rather than looking my absolute best, like most celebrities do during the Monaco Grand Prix. Yet I am not here as a celebrity, I'm here to support my boyfriend. And so I chose not to use the paddock as a catwalk. 

I put my bikini and a towel into my backpack, quickly going through Lando's drawers to get some of his swim trunks as well. We've been on Charles' boat before, and it often ends up with swimming as well. 

When I'm satisfied with all the things I've packed, I grab the bag, my keys and phone. Choosing to walk to the track entrance, which is supposed to take me twenty minutes. However, I get stopped by multiple fans along the route. Making time for them, taking pictures and making a bit of small talk. 

After roughly fourty-five minutes I finally arrive at the back of the paddock. Scanning my pass to let myself in. As I've spend quite some time here already, I walk immediately over to the McLaren paddock. The person checking people entering, letting me in immediately. Clearly aware of who I am. 

Walking through the McLaren building, I locate Lando easily. He's talking to one of the engineers, going over the multiple options for the race. Many are a possibility as he's starting from P10. 

I walk up to them, receiving a smile from the engineer as he meets my eyes. "Hi," I say greeting both of them. Lando immediately turning around, a smile on his face as he sees me. 

"Hi Aimee. Good to have you here." Lando's engineer says. Lando just presses a small kiss on my lips before greeting me as well. 

"Is it okay if I put my bag in your room? We're going to Charles' yacht after the race." I ask Lando, holding up my red backpack.  

"Only if you promise to bring an orange coloured one next time." He answers jokingly. "Everyone will think you're rooting for Ferrari this way." 

I smile at his response, placing a small kiss on his cheek. "I think I like you better when you're a little jealous." I give him a cheeky grin, before roaming through the halls to find his drivers room and drop my bag there. 

As I had expected, the race wasn't as big as a sportive success as last week for Lando. But how could it be, starting 10th in Monaco practically means you're doomed. I, however, do believe that it was a very big victory on a personal level. This 8th place finish might not seem that good. But if you'd look at his state on Friday it is the biggest victory possible. 

Lando walks into the garage, after leaving his car in the pit lane. I walk up to him, reaching out my arms for a much deserved hug. "I'm so incredibly proud of you." I whisper into his ear as I tighten the grip a bit, so I can give the words a bit more meaning. 

"Thank you, I wouldn't have been able to do this all without you." He looks right in my eyes, his eyes almost glossy. Like he's about to cry. "Thank you." He repeats himself, before placing a small kiss on my lips. 

"I love you." I tell him as our foreheads rest against each other. "But now go do your interviews and get changed. We've got a boat party to attend." Lando just nods, grabbing my hand so I can walk with him to his drivers room. Lando quickly changes into jeans and a McLaren hoodie for the interviews, handing a regular tee to me for the evening. 

I grab my bag, as we both exit the small drivers room. Very aware that people will talk about the fact that we were in there together. But honestly, I do not care. I say a quick goodbye to Lando, telling him I'd be waiting at the McLaren hospitality. 

As I'm sitting on the little terrace of the McLaren hospitality, I look around at the different drivers and team members walking past it. Charles coming by earlier than Lando, which I hadn't expected. I had expected the Monegasque to be doing interviews into eternity, yet he's here standing in front of me. Already wearing his free time attire. 

"You're already done with everything?" I ask him, as he takes a seat at the table I'm sitting at. 

"Yeah, another one of my cursed home races. I kept things short." He says, looking down. It's no secret that his home grand prix's always seem to end badly for him. 

"As long as it's just one cursed race a year, you can still be World Champion." I try to lift his spirits a bit. 

"I know, but I'd just like to give back to the people of Monaco for once." I look at him apologetically, understand how he feels a bit. I kind of did the same with ending my tour in the Netherlands with two concerts. 

We talk a bit more, before Lando, Max and Kelly join us. "Is this everyone or are we waiting for more?" Lando asks as the five of us are now holding two tables at the McLaren hospitality. 

"Nope, I also invited Carlos and Isa, and then Pierre and Yuki. And I think Yuki invited Nyck." Charles says. "I texted them to come here, so they should be here soon." 

And Charles was right, after ten more minutes of waiting the five remaining people had arrived. We all piled into two cars, driving to the marina. 

Climbing onto the boat, Charles told us that he got someone to sail the boat so we could all enjoy the drinks he had gotten. 

We sail away from the coast, finding a bay that's a bit deserted so we could have more privacy as we celebrated. I learned that I connect very well with Isa too, Kelly I already knew as I'd spend quite some time with her while in Monaco too. 

After some dancing, and probably already too many drinks as I've got a concert tomorrow, I sit down on the back of the boat. It's more quiet here, and looking out over the water actually calms me a lot. 

"Is it okay if I sit here?" A voice says in a thick French accent. I look up to reveal the face of no other than Pierre Gasly. 

"Yes, please sit." I tell him patting the empty spot beside me. 

"I just wanted to talk to you." Pierre says, catching me by surprise. "You're a singer." He says, almost like a question. 

"I am." I answer slowly, hesitant on where he's trying to get to. 

"God, that sounded stupid." He chuckles lightly. "I know you're a singer, I also know you're performing in Italy this week. One of your shows is in my home town of Milan. And of course you know that it's in Milan. But I was wondering if you'd want to hang out on Tuesday?" 

"Are you asking me on a date Gasly?" I say laughingly. "You know I've got a boyfriend right?" 

His face turns bright red. "Yeah I know, I just thought you'd like it if there was a friendly face during one of your trips." 

"That'd be nice. We won't be arriving in Milan until the afternoon though. But I'll let Ava clear my schedule. Whatever I'd have to do can be done on Wednesday or Thursday too." 

"I'll text you the details then?" He says, and I just nod. 

What the heck just happened.

-----------------------------

edited: 30/1/2024