We get to work once again, only this time, paying close attention to certain crevices, small details, and any patterns that we may be able to distinguish and uncover. I overlook the desk once more, fingers trailing across the wood in a passing motion. My hand slips down the side, feeling an indent beneath my fingertips. I stop in my tracks before leaning down to see what I brushed against.

"Eren, come here."

The boy turns his head before giving a short jog over. He crouches next to me, eyes widening when his eyes land on what's in front of both of us.

"That's where your key belongs."

The rest of the group surrounds us, peering over our shoulders to take a look at the keyhole engraved into the desk. Eren slides the key into the lock without any resistance, a soft wooden click filling the quiet air around us. We wait in silence, Eren's hand unmoving from the key that just unlocked what has the secrets to the outside world.

Finally, when he feels confident enough, he pulls the key out before slowly opening the drawer. Without thinking, I glance over at Levi, who stares with an indifferent expression at the desk. Taking a look at the hands held at his side, he's fidgeting with them silently; he's waiting in anticipation as well; he wants to know what was so important that Erwin had to die for it.

I bite my lip once bringing my attention back to the drawer—I want to know whether Tobio's death was worth it too.

The drawer finally opens, but when we peer into it, there's nothing there. I turn to Levi, with worry overcoming me slowly. Did someone get here before he did? Did his dad return back to collect the items shortly after the walls fell? Was the information burned or destroyed during the massacre? What happened to what we were—

"Look closer." Levi states, reaching over to tap the base of the wood, "It's a hidden drawer; it's double-sided."

Usually, I'd make a joke about him showing off, but I'm overtaken from the relief flooding my system. Underneath the extra piece of wood rests three books. At first I'm confused, but whatever it is, it's information that we supposedly don't have. Eren pulls out the first book, placing a hand on the cover.

He waits a while before turning to us, "I wonder what my dad wanted to show me...it's all in here, I guess."

We don't respond, knowing that he's simply expressing his thoughts aloud to process everything. Shortly after his words, Mikasa places a hand atop his, giving the best support than any of us could. They turn the cover, and the first page inside has something taped to the front of it. All of us lean over the book in curiosity.

It's like a memory kept in physical form. There is a man, a woman, and two kids, all who are well-dressed. The man is standing while holding a girl who wears pigtails, a wide smile on her face. On the chair sitting is a light-haired woman with a boy who sits across her lap properly with a photogenic grin. My eyes dart down to the text underneath the memory, the words softly leaving my lips.

"This is called a photograph. This is my wife Dina, my capable son Zeke, and my beloved daughter--."

The words hitch in my throat, unknowingly moving away from the book with wide eyes. I bump into Hange who lets out a sound of annoyance before gently moving me to the side next to Levi.

"If you're not gonna read it all out, then let me see better." The scientist whines.

The man next to me matches my wide eyes when looking at me, only adding to the sinking feeling consuming me from the inside out.

"Zeke and Zelda?" Hange asks aloud, "Do you know them, Eren?"

The boy shakes his head, "No...I didn't know my father had another family."