Replacement

Valeris was walking down a corridor of a large facility on his way to his quarters. During this walk, he was approached by a man wearing a labcoat adorned with a single patch of the Silver Hand insignia.

Scientist: Lord Valeris, if I may.

Valeris: Speak quickly, I have matters to attend to.

Scientist: I have some concerns regarding the first deployment of Project Beta.

Valeris: What might those be?

Scientist: I understand that Project Beta's orders on this deployment are the targeted elimination of select individuals in Mantle... but...

Valeris: But...

Scientist: I couldn't help but notice a particular name on this list that... doesn't make sense to me.

Valeris: I already know what you're going to say. And I can assure you that my logic is sound.

Scientist: But my lord, it seems like targeting-

Valeris: I know what I'm doing. I wouldn't act so brash had I not calculated the odds and possibilities.

The scientist hesitated before rescinding his concerns.

Scientist: I understand, my lord. Please forgive my insolence.

Valeris: Is that all you wished to speak of?

Scientist: Yes, my lord. That will be all.

Valeris: Very well then. Now leave me, for I have more important matters to attend to.

Meanwhile in Mantle

Mercury shot forwards towards Ren. In an instant, Ren dodged out of the way. As Mercury flew past, he skidded his feet on the ground until he came to a stop. His left eye then glowed red, revealing that the eye had been replaced with a cybernetic one. The Jedi knew not what this robotic eye could do, but he stayed on guard regardless. Ren charged forward, using this moment to his advantage. He slashed at Mercury, but he stepped back slightly and drew a hard light blade from his hip, blocking the lightsaber. Luckily for Ren, this lock was easily breakable by using his other lightsaber. Ren slashed at him with the other lightsaber, and Mercury attempted to dodge, but he was just barely too slow and the tip of the lightsaber cut into his side. He groaned in frustration and retook a fighting stance. He gash in his torso let out an occasional spark, revealing that at least that part was also cybernetic.

Ren: How much of you is a machine?

Mercury: Just the right amount.

The two of them clashed again, their clashes giving off flashes of bright light. However, Ren was unrelenting. He aggressively pressed every advantage he could find, no matter how small. Mercury, once confident in a quick victory, soon found himself on the defensive. Eventually, Ren was able to slice off the hand that held the hard light blade. Mercury looked surprised as one of his mechanical hands fell to the ground with an audible clang. Ren held the tip of his blade mere centimeters away from Mercury's throat.

Mercury: This is how it is, huh?

Ren: I'm not in the mood for a conversation, Mercury.

Mercury chuckled.

Mercury: I see you still have that stick up your ass...

Meanwhile

Crishius and Jaune blocked each other's attacks again and again. Both of their fighting styles involved overwhelming offense. This was no "unstoppable force meets an immovable object"; this was two unstoppable forces on a collision course. Every strike that either made was heavy and deliberate. Truly, their confrontations are destined to be destructive. With his massive sword, Jaune swung down on the Sith. Crishius held her lightsaber up to block it. They met with a bright flash of light and a loud clashing sound. Crishius' lightsaber hissed and screeched in protest, but the Sith held firm. Were this simply a duel of weapons, Crishius may have had to think of a contingency, but it was not only a duel of weapons. Letting one of her hands go off the lightsaber, she mustered her power in the Dark Side and released torrents of electricity from her newly freed hand. The force of this attack sent Jaune falling off the roof and onto the street. Beneath his armored body, the asphalt of the road cracked and split, leaving a small crater beneath him. Crishius jumped down to the street as well, using the Force to slow her descent. She watched as Jaune slowly stood back up, seemingly fine.

Jaune: I'll be the first to admit, Sith. You had me for a second there.

Crishius: You were able to stand up after falling five stories while being weighed down further by plate armor?

Jaune: Pretty much.

Crishius was surprised to say the least.

Crishius: How much aura do you have?

Jaune picked his sword up off the ground as his Gold-White Aura flashed around him.

Jaune: I've been told I have a lot of it. 

Meanwhile

Mercury: You won't be able to stop it, you know?

Ren: Stop what?

Mercury: The gears of time. No matter what you do, they're gonna keep on turning, and humanity is just along for the ride.

Ren: I'm aware.

Mercury: I mean come to think of it, you and I are beyond human.

Weiss: That's ridiculous.

Mercury: Is it? Think about it. Force users, like you Jedi, are capable of things that not even semblances can do. I mean sure, your girl Pyrrha could kind of do what you did, but only with metal. You guys-

Ren: Shut up!

Cyrus and Weiss were caught off guard by Ren raising his voice. Mercury on the other hand looked smug.

Mercury: Was it something I said?

Ren: You don't get to speak of Pyrrha. Not after what you and the rest of your pack did.

Mercury gave a smug grin.

Mercury: If I remember correctly, your grandmaster tried to save her, yes? He did make it up there, correct? So why didn't he save her?

Ren: That's enough out of you!

???: Enough is correct.

They didn't recognize the voice. It had a twinge of femininity, but was overwhelmingly mechanical in nature. They all looked to the source of the voice. It stood above them on the roof of the slightly taller building right next to the one they stood on. The figure was humanoid, larger than a normal person, and was covered in a metallic armored shell. The eyes of the figure glowed with red lights.

Ren: Identify yourself!

???: You want to know who I am?

The figure leapt down to the roof they stood on. With loud, mechanical footsteps, the figure slowly walked towards Ren.

???: I'll tell you who I am, Jedi. I am the being that shows the brilliance of mankind catching up to the dogma of old. I am the being they dare not mention for fear of the ultimate retribution. I am the being that silences your prayers to a god that cannot hear you! I am the blade, hammer, shield, and helm. I am your undoing, your demise, your death!

After saying the final word, something came from the figure's gauntlets. They were lightsaber blades! However, they were not normal lightsaber blades. Instead, they shone with a red colored edge, but with a black core.

???: But first...

The figure turned to Mercury.

Mercury: You're project Beta, aren't you.

Project Beta: You are correct.

Mercury: That's perfect. They won't stand a chance against the both of us!

Without responding, the figure kicked Mercury to the ground.

Weiss: What?

Cyrus: The hell?

Mercury coughed before attempting to get back on his feet.

Mercury: What are you doing?

Project Beta: Maintenance.

Mercury: What the hell are you talking about?

Project Beta: When a cog rusts over, it is to be... replaced.

Project Beta grabbed Mercury by the neck. Mercury squirmed in a desperate attempt to free himself from its grasp, but was only met with a wet snap as his neck was bent at an unnatural angle. With that, Project Beta threw Mercury's lifeless corpse off the side of the building. The mechanical figure then turned back towards the Jedi.

Project Beta: Mission Parameters 20% Complete. 4 Targets remaining.