The Demon Mages

The airship bound for Vale flew across the shining blue waters of the sea. In the back portion of the airship, Cyrus and Yang sat in their seats. Cyrus was clearly still contemplating the events of the day before. Yang could clearly tell this and decided to give Cyrus the facts.

Yang: My guess is that you're confused as to what's going on.

Cyrus: Well, yeah! What tipped you off?

Yang: I understand, I really do. Things really haven't been making sense as of late.

Cyrus: So what exactly is going on? Who are these new guys that just showed up out of nowhere, and why are they hunting us?

Yang: Well, I wouldn't exactly call them new. On Remnant, they actually predate the Jedi and Sith Orders.

Cyrus: So you know who they are?

Yang: It's... a long story... So let me start from the beginning

Flashback 4 Years

Yang narration: It was about four years ago now. I needed to speak with the Grandmaster about a strange opponent I had encountered on a mission.

Yang could be seen approaching Grandmaster (L/N) in the council library.

Yang: Grandmaster (L/N). Can I speak to you for a moment?

(Y/N): Master Xiao Long. You're back sooner than expected. Did you fill out your mission report already?

Yang: This is more important than the mission report.

(Y/N): Not to invalidate your claims, but we all have responsibilities to-

Yang: (Y/N) This Is Serious!

(Y/N): Okay, sorry. What seems to be the problem.

Yang: I've encountered an enemy on my most recent mission. They had power unlike anything I've seen since... well, since the war!

(Y/N): Do you mean to tell me that there is an enemy with powers that are magical in origin?

Yang: That is exactly what I'm saying.

(Y/N): This does sound serious. Was there anything that stuck out about this opponent?

Yang: Their eyes.

(Y/N) began to get more on edge.

(Y/N): Did their pupils take the form of an odd symbol?

Yang: How did you know?

(Y/N) stood up and began to go towards the exit.

(Y/N): This is bad. They aren't gone like he said.

Yang: (Y/N), what is going on? Who are "They"?

(Y/N) turned back to Yang with a serious expression on his face.

(Y/N): Shortly after the war ended, Ozpin began teaching me about everything related to the magical threats that he and Salem had conjured during the war. Yang, what you encountered was one of those threats.

Yang: What?

(Y/N): Do you remember when Ozpin told us all that he created the Maidens?

Yang: Yes, why?

(Y/N): One thing that he didn't tell us is that Salem created her own versions.

Yang: Wait, is that what I encountered?

(Y/N): Indeed. They are known as the Demon Mages. At the time of their creation, Salem had 5 lieutenants. She used her magic to turn them all into magic-powered vessels of chaos. The one thing that stood out upon their creation were their eyes. Not only did they bear a specific symbol, but they each had their own unique power along with the basic magic powers granted to all of them. Color is the main way you designate which Demon Mage is which.

Yang: So what are they? Do you know?

(Y/N): Oz didn't know everything about them, but he told me the parts that he did know. There are the Red Eyes of Genocide, the Blue Eyes of Famine, the Yellow Eyes of Decay, the Green Eyes of Avarice, and the Violet Eyes of Stagnation. These five had been given magical powers that could be passed down through generations, just like the maidens.

Yang: So, if these were Salem's versions of the Maidens, then why didn't we fight them during the war?

(Y/N): Because after the first generation of Demon mages, the rest of them ceased being loyal to Salem. Ever since then, they have chosen one of their own to follow. Over the years, their presence became less and less. It came to a point where Ozpin just assumed they had died out. But clearly, from what you've encountered, they were just biding their time.

Yang: So what do we do?

(Y/N): We're flying blind right now, so we have nothing to go off of. For now, we just wait until more information comes up before we decide what to do about the situation.

Flashback Ends

Cyrus was speechless. What he heard didn't make sense, but he could somehow sense that what she was telling him was the complete truth.

Cyrus: So the people we fought... These were the Demon Mages?

Yang: Yes, two of them at least. The Jedi Hunter was clearly the one who wielded the Eyes of Stagnation. Whatever his ability is, it allows him to move and react at supernatural speeds. And his friend, Kallus. Was very obviously another Demon Mage. Which one specifically, I can't discern.

Cyrus: So we let the council know as soon as possible so they can help us?

Yang: Yes, but more specifically...

Her face became incredibly serious.

Yang: We need to alert the Grandmaster. 

Author's Note: Well, here we go. Here's some backstory for our new characters. More to come related to them and the rest of the story as new chapters are released. Until then, see you later.