Who He Truly Is

The Demon Mages were sat at various places around their compound. Suddenly, Kallus called for their attention.

Kallus: I believe the next step in this phase is in order.

Aika: You gonna choose another one of us to prod at Cyrus?

Kallus: Exactly. Increasing pressure being put on him will allow him to further the strengthening of his powers, whether he likes it or not.

Jaune: So which one of us will it be this time? Me or Viktoria?

Kallus: You've already had your opportunity, Jaune. Now it is time for Viktoria to test the young man.

Jaune: What? That mission had nothing to do with Cyrus. I faced him on a whim.

Kallus: You'll get your chance again soon, don't worry. Now it's time for Viktoria to further Cyrus' training.

Viktoria: So I guess it's my turn now... Guess I should formulate some kind of strategy.

Kallus: You will move out once I give the word.

Viktoria: Yes sir.

Jaune: What does this all have to do with Alex's grand vision anyway?

Kallus: Because Alex's plan calls for all five Demon Mages to be united first and foremost. Led by one of their own. If we are to execute Alex's vision, we must get Cyrus to become a part of our cause.

Jaune: Okay. I guess I understand now...

Kallus: Very well. Viktoria, wait here until I give the word. Now is not the right time to go forth with his next test.

Viktoria: I understand, Master Kallus.

Meanwhile in Argus

Volga: Well, at least you remember who I am.

(Y/N): I never forgot.

Volga: I don't know if I should feel honored or insulted.

Sariel: We're going to have to cut this small talk short, we have business to attend to.

Volga: Business? My curiosity is piqued.

(Y/N): We're currently facing an unprecedented crisis. Terrorists hailing from this city have been threatening the autonomy and peace of all four kingdoms. In fact, they have declared themselves to be a fifth kingdom.

Volga: Hmm... that certainly is a pickle. Just one issue though, that's not my problem.

(Y/N): I'm afraid it is, Volga. It appears one of their target audiences for recruits are former members of your cult.

Volga: Ah, such strong use of that word. I wouldn't call us a cult.

(Y/N): I would. And so would everyone else of good standing.

Volga: Guess you can't please some people. So, some of my former followers joined a terrorist group. I still fail to realize how that's my problem. What, do you want me to call them off?

(Y/N): Hardly, we want information. Specifically about their leader.

Volga: Fine. It isn't like I'm going anywhere.

(Y/N) opened his scroll and played a clip of Valeris' declaration of war. As it played, Volga watched intently and his eyes widened slightly as he seemed to recognize who it was.

Volga under breath: Of all people, it would be him wouldn't it?

(Y/N): I take it that you recognize him.

Volga: Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.

(Y/N): Tell us what you know.

Volga: So straightforward. Anyways, yes, I will tell you what I know.

(Y/N): The floor is yours.

Volga: It appears that now he goes by the name Valeris... however, I knew him as Shigeru Oka. He was a talented kid. Not only did he know his way around a sword, but on top of that he was also a damn genius.

(Y/N): So he was skilled with a blade and also highly intelligent?

Volga: More than you think, yes.

(Y/N): What else is there to know about him?

Volga: I took him in during the early days of my organization. I had basically adopted the kid. Seems that you locking me up put a chip on his shoulder.

(Y/N): So where was he when we raided your temple? I don't recall ever seeing a young boy there.

Volga: Knowing him, he was probably hiding out until things died down. As a kid, he would get scared pretty easily. I don't think you'll be able to use that to your advantage anymore though.

(Y/N): Noted. I think that is all we need to know for now. If we need more, we'll be back.

Volga: One last thing.

(Y/N): Hmm?

Volga: I can tell you're underestimating him because he has no powers of his own. That's a fool's gambit. He is a master of manipulation, face him in battle and he will exploit every opening that you have. Not just the physical openings either, but the mental ones as well.

A chill ran up (Y/N)'s spine as Volga said that.

(Y/N): I'll keep that in mind.

(Y/N) and Sariel exited the interrogation room and a pair of guards came in to escort Volga back to his cell.

Meanwhile at an unknown location

Valeris entered a chamber where scientists were typing on terminals on either side. In the center of the room, the same robotic figure was being operated on with machines. One of the metal plates on the front was opened, revealing part of a charred torso.

Valeris: How is Project Beta doing?

Scientist: Vital signs are improving by the day. Recently regained the ability to stand as well.

Valeris: Excellent.

Valeris then walked forward.

Valeris: Project Beta. Can you hear me?

Project Beta: I can...

Valeris: Your recovery is improving. Soon, we will be able to begin combat training.

Project Beta: I would like nothing more...

Valeris then turned back to the scientist.

Valeris: Project Beta is our best bet at combating the Jedi and Sith.

Scientist: But, what about the Demon Mages, sir?

Valeris: What about them?

Scientist: Our data says that they are the greatest threat to us.

Valeris: Just make sure to not provoke them, and we should not be subject to their aggression.

Scientist: I suppose that makes sense on some level, but it still seems like a risk.

Valeris: This entire Empire is taking a risk by merely existing. Do not worry, I have already calculated the odds... and all of the cards are in my hand. Whatever move any faction makes will play directly into my favor.