Cloud Questioning

Start from the beginning

Bah! Who was he trying to fool?? There never was a loyal Makarov! Only a vampire that was firmly invested in making sure his own agenda was followed, and his own goals reached. To be entirely truthful, it wasn't terribly surprising to find the Vorinov Qos Viran had turned traitor. Although he knew the vampire himself would argue that he wasn't traitorous, as he was currently working for the council.

Then something occurred to him that pushed all of the musing and consideration aside. Vulcrum's questioning of Anna was ultimately successful because he worked the edges. What if that was also true of Compulsion? What if the pheromones could stir the unconscious mind into revealing what the conscious mind was fortified against?

His eyes narrowed in thought. It was a stretch. But, beyond pulling Mordecai back in to scan the vampire's entire mind and put it into a box, they weren't going to get anything out of him the conventional way. So, maybe it was time to try something unconventional.

"Lash to Fiadh," he said, his omni-present earpiece picking up his voice.

"Fiadh here, Lash. Go ahead, my wolf," Fiadh's voice purred silkily into his ear, the Irish lilith still feeling good from their recent encounter.

"Brel is in our custody. Want to drop down into the cells and give your Plan A a try on him?"

"Be right there, Lash," she replied, her tone a bit more professional with her being called into action.

"Going to try a Compulsion?" Vulcrum asked and Lash nodded. "Not sure how effective it'll be until he wakes up, my lord."

"Actually, I don't want him awake." He looked over his shoulder as Fiadh slipped into the room, flashing him a bright smile before sobering. Letting the door close behind her, the Irish lilith stepped to his side.

"We're going to compel somebody that's unconscious?" she asked when she saw Brel was still out.

Lash nodded as he folded his arms, his eyes back on Brel.

"The unconscious mind is often not as fortified or disciplined as the conscious mind. So it can be more easily manipulated and influenced, even by things in its surrounding environment." His eyes narrowed thoughtfully. "Based on that, I would like to try a compulsion on an unconscious mind to see if we can squeeze the less protected part of him for the next link in the chain."

"That, actually, is a brilliant idea, my young master!" Vulcrum exclaimed with a laugh as he quickly jotted something down on the tablet in his hand. "I had never even considered that as a tactic or tool. Well done!"

Lash looked at him with a thin smile.

"I can't take the credit, actually." He looked down at Fiadh, who returned his gaze with a warm smile. "It's my lady Fiadh that originally suggested using Compulsion to force an unwilling target to give up information. I just took it a step further."

"Then bravo to you, Mistress Fiadh," Vulcrum said with a respectful bow. A bow she returned with a smile and a nod.

"Alright, Fiadh," Lash said, stepping aside to let Fiadh move close. "Keep it light. As soon as you sense you have a hold of him, give us a signal and we'll start questioning."

The Irish lilith nodded her understanding and leaned in, her eyes narrowed. And Lash immediately felt the pheromones tug on his own awareness. As it was nowhere near what was needed to take control of him, he ignored it to focus on the unconscious Brel. And he smiled when, still deeply unaware, the former Qos Viran twitched.

"I ... have him," Fiadh breathed. "I think."

"Let's test that assertion," Vulcrum said, stepping around behind her to hold out a small tablet. On its screen was a list of questions, the very things Vulcrum had hastily scribbled when he found out Lash wanted to try an unconscious compulsion.