Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

After a last hug, he climbed back out of the window. I watched him, holding my breath with fear that he would fall as he first lifted himself down on to the ledge and then landed on the conservatory roof with a small thud, and then jumped from it, landing in the garden in a crouch. I let out a small sigh of relief as he showed me the thumbs up sign. After I could not see him any longer, I closed the bedroom window, and made my way back to bed. It was almost 4am now, and my tiredness was beginning to show as I yawned.

Just as I was going to sleep, I heard my phone buzz – it was a text. I didn’t have to look who it was from – there was only one person that would text me at 4am. Thank you for tonight Jennings. it read. I couldn’t help the smile that played its way on to my lips. Any time Jackson, good luck. I replied. No more texts came, so I was finally allowed to get some sleep.

The following morning, I had to be woken up by Mum. I was so tired, and my eyes itched from rubbing them. I didn’t get much sleep, as my mind constantly thought about Jackson and I was worried about how he was last night.

            “Looks like someone didn’t get much sleep,” Dad said when I finally came down for breakfast.

            “Yes, honey did you get back to sleep after your nightmare?” Mum then said.

            “Not much,” I lied. No need to mention that I had a boy in my room at 3am.

            “You can go back to bed if you like?” The idea was tempting, but I had to be ready in case Lewis needed me.

            “No, I’ll be okay.”

            “Okay, well don’t fall asleep in the shower!” I laughed at her joke and trudged upstairs, grabbing a towel before I headed into the bathroom.

Placing my phone on the side, I climbed in, letting the hot water run over my tired self. Thoroughly I washed my hair and after I was done, I just stood there sleepily for what seemed like hours. Then I heard my call tone ring and snapped out of my daydreams. Grabbing the towel, I quickly wrapped it around me and answered the phone.

            “Hello?” I answered it, trying to juggle holding the towel and the phone.

            “Hey Jennings, it’s me,” I heard the familiar voice that made my heart melt say.

            “Is everything okay?” I asked anxiously. I heard him chuckle.

            “Not really, I was just wondering if I could take you somewhere – to make up for coming over in the middle of the night.”

            “You don’t have to…” I began to say, but he interrupted.

            “I’ll come and get you in an hour, and I want to,” he said, before hanging up on me so that I couldn’t protest. Excitedly, I ran out of the bathroom and with the towel wrapped around me, shouted down the stairs to my parents.

            “Can I go out today?” I yelled. After a few minutes, Mum replied.

            “Of course honey, what time?”

            “In an hour.”

As soon as I had permission, I looked for some clothes to wear. Deciding that jeans was a safe option as I didn’t know where I was going, I pulled on my favourite pair and a t-shirt with a slogan on it. I put on light make up, and then looked for my bag. Inside my bag I put some leggings and a long shirt (just in case, I couldn’t guess with Lewis). The last half an hour dragged on as I was impatient with excitement. Then the doorbell rang, and I skipped to answer it.

            “Hey!” I said as I opened the door. He was stood there with bag on his back, leaning against the porch wall.

            “Did you pack spare clothes?” he asked, eyeing the bag on my arm.

            “Yup,” I replied. He grinned.

            “Sometimes I think you’re psychic Jennings,” he laughed, then grabbed my arm as I shouted goodbye to my parents.

We both ran down the steps together, I was giggling and he was chuckling. A great way to start the day.

            “Where are we going then Jackson?” I asked. He tapped his nose.

            “You’ll know soon enough.” We walked together to the same bus stop we went to before.

            “We’re going to the beach again?” I wondered.

            “Nope.” That left me hanging even more. This time, we got on the first bus that arrived – another one I didn’t recognise.

            “I didn’t know this stop had so many buses coming through it,” I stated, more to myself than to him.

            “Ah well, what would you do without me.” I through my bag at him.

            “I’d have sleep.” He chuckled at that one.

            “I’m grateful that you were there for me last night, I’m not sure what I’d have done if I had stayed at home.”

            “Stop thanking me, it was fun, and anyway, how are things?” He paused at my question. “You don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to.”

            “No it’s okay. When I got home they were yelling at each other again. But when he saw me, Dad walked out. I guess he didn’t want me to see them like that. However he came back this morning before I rang you, and that was when I packed my bag and thought I’d treat you to a visit to one of my favourite places.”

            “You didn’t have to do this you know.”

            “I wanted to, and besides, I needed to get out of that house.”